Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shockwave Can't Be Deleted

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vosscharge

Vosscharge

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

I downloaded Adobe Shockwave 1.5.6.606 today and went to go try out a game on shockwave.com. It downloaded and installed version 10.4.1.28, which, after discovering in the Windows SysWoW64 folder, I deleted. Problem is: It's stuck in a subfolder in the recycling bin.

C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-3411904786-2792438740-3268806795-1000\$R1SZ2AG\SwOnce.dll

Any help? I can't open the S-1-5-21-3411904786-2792438740-3268806795-1000 folder. Until I can 10.4.1.28 is seemingly stuck there, even after emptying the recycle bin and restarting.

Edited by Vosscharge, 22 January 2010 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:02 AM

Might be a corrupt Recycle Bin folder. Take a look at any of these:

How to Fix a Corrupted Recycle Bin in Windows XP

How to Fix a Corrupted Recycle Bin in Windows Vista

How to Fix a Corrupted Recycle Bin in Vista (alternate link)

Recycle Bin is corrupted Win 7

Norton is known to interfere with Recycle Bin functions so some research into that maybe in order.

#3 Vosscharge

Vosscharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:40 AM

Thanks, but the splash doesn't say anything about it being corrupted. It mentions that the folder in question isn't accessible. "Access is denied". Were I to delete the recycle bin though, how would I restore it?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

Try removing the Shockwave remnants with Revo Free
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst...e_download.html
You might need to download Shockwave again to uninstall it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Vosscharge

Vosscharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

tried reinstalling and uninstalling again. Nothing seems to work. Revo seemingly cannot find the file. would it be possible to enter the file path into "forced uninstall mode" and going from there? I went through the same reinstall process and found where the file went, had to download the plug in from the Shockwave site again but: C:\Windows\SysWoW64\Macromed\Shockwave 10\SwOnce.dll I should note that I went to this path and deleted that exact file directly, which is what got it in the recycle bin in the first place.

and the stuck version is still in C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-3411904786-2792438740-3268806795-1000\$R1SZ2AG\SwOnce.dll

Edited by Vosscharge, 23 January 2010 - 07:56 PM.

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

Try taking ownership of the folder that is giving you the 'Access is Denied" message.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

How to Take Ownership of a Item in Vista

How to take Ownership and Grant Permission in Window 7

If you delete the entire Recycle Bin Folder using the instructions I linked to above, when you reboot your computer, Windows should recognize that the file is missing and rebuild it. Create a System Restore point, before running the command, as a safety net.

If you still are having trouble deleting the folder, boot into safe mode and try to delete it from there. You could also run Chkdsk on your computer and then afterwards make any attempts to remove the folder. Running Chkdsk is sometimes suggested as another method of dealing with stubborn files on a computer.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 23 January 2010 - 09:31 PM.

#7 Vosscharge

Vosscharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

Problem resolved. Thanks a ton, guys. Wound up manually deleting it through command prompt. Seems clean now.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

As Louis says, Happy Computing
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users