Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

facebook

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

do sites like facebook and myspace cause maleware or spyware and how would you get maleware or spyware?

thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Well, MySpace has become more of a music site and the social networking aspect has been trumped by Facebook & Twitter. The problem is there is a lot of third party apps on Facebook that come with malware and it seems to be very difficult to figure out what is legit and what isn't. That's why I stay away from Facebook in favour of Twitter. And Twitter is great for promoting my blog.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

One other aspect of social engineering sites is they are a primary target of malware writers because of their popularity.

Many of them have had malicious code written into the pages unknown to the owners\administrators of the site. No manual download is required as the code is written in such a way that it exploits weakness`s in either the browser, flash, java, active x, etc.

I avoid such sites completely. I`m kind of a private person anyways.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:14 AM

To answer your questions. The sites themselves do not "cause malware'. The sites have malware placed in and on them by persons with nefarious intentions. The ways to become infected with malware are as diverse as the number of variants out there.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

Myspace allows users to use HTML code to create their profile, so it is very possible for a malware writer to write a drive by download into their myspace "profile".

#6 steven

steven

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

I've been all over BC and can't find anything about suggested / recommended security settings for FB. This is a concern for me because my GF uses FB, Twitter, YouTube, etc. and I'm worried about her passing something to my machine, or when she uses my laptop to log on.

Any ideas?

S.

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

As long as you have a solid Anti-Virus program with real time protection, a good firewall, and an on de-mand, and even maybe a real-time anti-malware program, you should be fine. I personally have never had any issues with Facebook, Myspace or Youtube. Youtube should be quite safe since it is owned by Google though :thumbsup:

#8 steven

steven

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

I have MBAM, SAS, AVG, A2SQ, Zone Alarm, all free versions, all updated regularly. I'm thinking about buying Prevx, it's interesting to use.

My problem lies with the gf. She FB's, Twits, YouTube's, all the time, with no regard to online safety. She didn't have any AV/Malware stuff before she met me! I need some ideas as to secure her FB page because she doesn't have a clue as to how vulnerable she really is and we do exchange emails, etc.

Would Prevx be an example of real-time anti-malware?
I thought mbam + avg were real-time?

Have a Good Day.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

AVG is real-time.
mbam is on-demand, unless it's the paid-for version.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users