Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD quality recording to PC?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

Hi,

I'm finally getting around to putting my CD collection on my PC. I'm using Windows Media Player's ripping utility at "Best Quality" which is 320 kbps only I've noticed that even with this resolution the PC playback is still not as vibrant as the actual CD.

Is there a way to copy your CD's to match the CD playback quality? if so how can this be accomplished?

Thanks,

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 22 January 2010 - 12:43 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

I'd say, it depends on your audio card, speakers, etc. quality.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

If you want to rip files that are truly "CD quality" you need to find software that will allow you to rip as WAV files. These can be compressed (a bit) using a lossless format, like FLAC.

I don't use WMP so I don't know if that's an option. I personally use software that came with one of my MP3 players to do this, but I have used Free Rip in the past, so I know that it will rip WAV files from CDs. You can get it at Cnet:

http://download.cnet.com/FreeRip-MP3/3000-...4-10050140.html

You might also check Bleeping Computer's list of free alternatives to commercial software for other alternatives:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:40 PM

CDex will also rip to .wav.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for the advice, I have been also recommended from a friend to use WAV and fortunately WMP has WAV.

So, I can either re-rip everything or use a converter to convert the ones already ripped to .mp3 in order to convert them to WAV.

In playing with it so far it looks like I may have to re-rip them all. It might be the easiest way to go.

Only I'm finding that when ripping as WAV the meta data is not kept with the rip files at their file locations. The meta data appears in WMP with the individual music entries there in WMP but not at the WAV files at their folder locations like it does when ripping to .mp3 files.

Anyone know how to make the meta data appear with the files in their folders? Much of the meta data isn't even available when ripping WAV and certainly not editable. I really would like to access it and be able to edit it. Anyone?

Thanks.

Edited by Johnz414, 23 January 2010 - 12:49 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#6 vb543

vb543

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

Check out the setting in windows media player. Also make sure you have the newest version installed. There should be a setting for audio ripping. Make sure you have it set to either mp3 or wav and that the audio quality is set to the absolute best. Also I believe that VLC audio player (which is a free download) will let you rip audio cd's to your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users