Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP2 issues in SP3? (Windows XP Home)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 grendel336

grendel336

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'm getting two different pop-up warnings at startup.

1) Data Execution Prevention
Generic Host process For Win32 Services

2) Axwin Frame Window: svchost.exe
..... "0x02abf7a0"......

When I google search these warning messages I get answers that these are XP SP2 issues. That SP3 fixes that stuff.
I have SP3.

I'm getting the exact same troubles as this guy has:

Ok, when I boot I get the following error comes up:

data execution generic host process

Sometimes it comes up twice.

I can then go ahead and use the system, but within 10-15 minutes the following error comes up:

axwin frame window: svchost.exe application error

the instruction "0x029ff7a0" referenced memory at "0x029ff7a0" the memory could not be "written"

This has the option to either click "OK" or "Cancel" to debug.

Clicking OK allows me to continue, clicking cancel sends the system into shutdown mode.

If I continue, the following issues occur:

processes can't be stopped, such as firefox

task manager won't open, but is running, same with stuff like windows update, process explorer etc.

system won't restart or shutdown. have to manually turn off the computer.

can't delete some files. a zip file on my desktop won't delete, but image files will.

In the past few weeks I've been having serious issues with firefox crashing, as well as google search re-directs.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

I can't boot into "safe mode". When I try I get blue screen with error messages.

I tried to boot up the ubcd4win in my cr-rom drive and it could not detect my hard drive.

I have a Dell XPS 600 desktop with nothing added since it was bought new. I have updated WindowsXP as updates have come out.

I typically run CCleaner, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Malwarebytes at least twice a month and sometimes more than once a week. CCleaner gets run at least 3 times a week.

I also have AVG free virus protection.

My next course of action would be to try to run BitDefender and/or Kaspersky rescue disks to see if they can find issues I might have in my boot sectors.

Am I on the right track? Should I stop immediately and wait for further instruction?

I'd appreciate any and all advice and help.

Thanks.

Edited by grendel336, 22 January 2010 - 11:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users