Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 petawawa60

petawawa60

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:41 AM

:huh:
Every-one has a problem, mine is simple (or so I think) but my question to some one out there is this....My computer freezes and drops out of inter-net connection.
Have set the idle way up there (1 hour) but still it drops out.
Have taken this puppy apart and cleaned it with brushes and air, it is clean but....
I believe the start up proccess is wacked...I have to manually shut it down and restart and low and behold it begins again and with no problems, except I have to shut it down manually and then it blue screens...
This is my 3rd hard drive, the others had the same problem and finally crashed for good...am PO.
Do registry cleaners work? Have heard they are a waste of cash and time....
Do I have to have window up-dates? They seem to be a problem, they are continuesly up-grading and when going on the web find that some of them are corrupt.
At my end...This harddrive is about to fail again and although I will be insalling a new one do not want the same thing to happen again...HELP.
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

Do I have to have window up-dates

Plain and simple, yes

Do registry cleaners work?

BC does not believe in the use of registry cleaners. They do more harm than good

As far as shut down goes, you either have a corrupt driver or a process is not closing
Go to your Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer and see what errors are listed there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 petawawa60

petawawa60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:51 AM

Do I have to have window up-dates

Plain and simple, yes

Do registry cleaners work?

BC does not believe in the use of registry cleaners. They do more harm than good

As far as shut down goes, you either have a corrupt driver or a process is not closing
Go to your Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer and see what errors are listed there

Dear Garmanma:
To-day I was treated to a word in the un-startable.
The unit went into DOS and the message read "BOOTManager was corrupt and could not boot.
First time.
I am not sure what that is.
When I hard close the computer and start again, well I am on now and all seems to be right as rain.
Should I be concerned?
Should I re-fit my Hard Drive or continue on with this little annoyance?
Your opioion would be appreciated.
John

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

This is my 3rd hard drive, the others had the same problem and finally crashed for good...am PO.

How often are you going through hard drives?
What is the make and model number of your computer?
Something does not sound right

Edited by garmanma, 26 January 2010 - 01:12 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 mahcilicacid

mahcilicacid

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

hi
I am using vista on dell xps 1330. I tried to change theme and then suddenly I ran out of charge, then after resuming windows I found out the side bar I had on my desktop which was my document has covered the netire screen and nothing works right. I have worthy datas on my computer and i need it by morning wgat sgould i do?
please help me :huh:

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

Is your computer still under warranty if so send it back to Dell and have them fix it. It seems to be a faulty hard drive controller.

#7 petawawa60

petawawa60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

How often are you going through hard drives?
What is the make and model number of your computer?
Something does not sound right

Dear gramanma, I purchase a HP model 1730n.
It came loaded with Vista reg. Had a 360 Hard drive and it lasted something like 14 months and then BOOM.
Had it reloaded and it worked for 2 months and then BOOM.
Then I purchased a new Hard drive SATA and loaded it again this time with XP it lasted less then 1 year and then BOOM.
See a pattern here, can you understand my frustration....
Purchased another hard drive this time a small unit 70 meg or something like that and had it loaded with VISTA Ultimate and it has lasted for over 16 months and now the system is beginning to show signs of failure.
My provider PORCHLIGHT is still on the computer and I have only dial-up no quick service and it is slow.
Opioions??? Any-thing to avoid the next Hard Drive from repeating this annoyance would be deemed helpful.
John :huh: :huh:

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

The average life expectancy of a new, out-of-the-box, hard drive is 5 years
How do you physically handle your laptop? Are you rough or do you drop it?
Who reloads the operating system on it?
Maybe it has something to do with their process
Mark
Posted Image

#9 petawawa60

petawawa60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

The average life expectancy of a new, out-of-the-box, hard drive is 5 years
How do you physically handle your laptop? Are you rough or do you drop it?
Who reloads the operating system on it?
Maybe it has something to do with their process

Yes it is strange...the desk top is a good one, brand new and the system was installed by the Chinese so who can tell of their commitment and care? The next time it was loaded by a repair shop, it was a computer buisness. The third time was by a gentleman working at Van Pelts computer store...I stay away from any and all sites and never open mail not knowing the person...never.
This little annoyance is tolerable and the unit does not seem to mind (yet). I would hate to think that HP is not as I imagined but then again not every thing is as it seems....My whining is not getting any-thing corrected so I will move on.
Thank you for your opioion and thanks for the help.
I will purchase a new computer (desk top) when this finally goes to hyperheaven I will continue to read the blogs to get more computer savay.
John :huh:

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

The average life expectancy of a new, out-of-the-box, hard drive is 5 years How do you physically handle your laptop? Are you rough or do you drop it? Who reloads the operating system on it? Maybe it has something to do with their process

I once went through 18 western digital and 18 IBM Drives within a 2 year period. THe issue was a faulty manufacturing process at IBM and WD. Both lost class action law suits, and as such IBM had to sell their storage department to hitachi, and WD had to discontinue that line of drives and close a plant in Thailand. This is why I only stick to seagate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users