Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

domain security?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kitkin15

kitkin15

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

ok i have had my website up for a while, i had it under the domain ".tk"( i think the actioul website violates U.S.A. laws, so i will not tell anyone the actioual domain untill i get it back). yesterday i found out that it was stolen from me. my website is fine, but they went on my "dot.tk" account and erase all of my domains.

i want to see if there is anyway i can insure that this will not happen agin.

i am having the problem taking care of now, i will find out later if i will get it back or not, so i need no help there.
i am planing on buying my domain when i get it (its a free domain by the way)
im pretty sure that this guy got my password to my "dot.tk" account, so how can i make it to where he cant do it agin?

thanks to anyone who can hep me=).
Fix everything, if nothing is left to fix than break something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

What do you mean they 'erased your domains?" A domain is simply an address, so it can't really be erased. And since you state that the website is fine, then I am a bit unclear on what you are talking about. Are you saying someone else took over the domain name, or he got into your web account?

#3 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

oh sorry, i wasnt clear on the way "dot.tk" works.

lets say my domain is: www.mysite.thisdomain.com
and i want to shorten it up, so you go to dot.tk and make an account. than they will redirect your website to: mysite.tk
and my "mysite.thisdomain.com" is ok right now (i do not want to post my sites URL, i need to fix 3 copyright issues that i was recently informed about) but my "mysite.tk" is gone, this guy in the neatherlands (sorry if i spelt it wrong) went on my "dot.tk" account and erased all of my domains.

with dot.tk you can make domains for any website, as long as its not taken. so i can make "forums.tk" and it will lead to this site if i made it do that. all dot.tk does is redirects your website, and it does it for free. my sites name is to long. id be ok with all this as long as i didnt put so much work into promoting my site (with the ".tk" domain).

i just want to know how i can make sure no one can go on my "dot.tk" account and do this ever agin.

P.S. sorry for any spelling errors, i do not have the portable version of tinyspell anymore, i am going to get it soon though)

#4 futuretech

futuretech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

This may seem obvious but have you contacted the folks at dot.tk about this?

Here is a forum i found on the site that you can post your question at:

http://www.apiforum.tk/

#5 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

yes i have done that, and i just got my domain back about 20 minutes ago =)

i contacted them yesterday, but i want to see if i can make sure this will never happen agin. i have at least 5 active domains on there, and they all disapered. so i know that he had to have gotten on my account inorder to do this. i changed my password, and im going to switch it over to another e-mail also. but i want to know if there is anything else i can do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users