Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup takes ages before getting to desktop.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Whitesugar

Whitesugar

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:43 PM

Dear readers,
I'm using a Windows ME computer and have reformatted a few days ago. I needed to because after 4-5 years it wore my system down until I could barely load anything even after defragmenting. Anyhow..

After everything was done I installed all available critical updates, etc. But the only thing was, every time I reboot or start up my computer it hangs on the "Windows ME" screen for AGES until it finally accesses my desktop. This can take well up to 3-5 minutes and never resolves. First of all, I've never even seen this screen show up before I reformatted. It's almost like what I'd see when I use to boot up my old Windows 95/98 computer-- except of course it displays "ME".

Is there anyway to fix this? I have McAfee's 2005 internet suit and spyware installed, and ran all of them and came up with nothing. I've run ScanDisk without any problems, through and through, which took 3 hours and it found no errors.

Please help. I can't bare to stand this anymore. When I get into my desktop it also loads tons of programs that show up on the CTRL+ALT+DEL menu-- could those things be the problem?. I had ZoneAlarm and AVG before I reformatted, so I'm wondering if those "extra programs" that show up are just McAfee's and I'm not use to them.

Examples include.. "OSD" and "DCFSSVC", "MMKEYBD", "EM_EXEC", etc.
If you suggest I remove some from starting up, please alert me how to do so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:01 PM

For now why don't you check your startups in the
Bleeping Computer Startup Database :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:20 PM

McAfee 2005 is too intense a program for your computer no doubt. It is "bloated" and is most likely causing the slow loading.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Whitesugar

Whitesugar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:39 PM

I removed some unneccesary programs from the startup list and it solved the slow loading of my desktop.
But still, every time we start up the computer it hangs on the "Windows ME" splash screen for minutes on end until it finally accesses and loads my desktop. After that, it's fine. It's just the loading issue.

I installed McAfee after this problem already existed. Again, my desktop is fine. When it displays the screen where I enter my password to log into the computer everything is fine. It's only that splash screen before it.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:44 PM

How do you connect to the internet? If its hi-speed how does the modem connect to the computer? Ethenet cable? Usb?

Go into Device Manager and look for any devices with a (!) or (?) and if you have any let us know what they are.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Whitesugar

Whitesugar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:47 PM

I have DSL, and it connects using an ethenet cable.
After checking the device manager I selected "Human Interface Devices".
A green "?" is displayed on "USB Human Interface Device".

Otherwise the rest of the devices are fine.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:58 PM

USB Human Interface Device refers to a USB Mouse or Keyboard. Do you have one of those? If not, go into Device Manager and highlight that entry and click remove and reboot.

#8 Whitesugar

Whitesugar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

I'm using a tablet with it's wireless mouse.
Because I don't particularly like my scrolling mouse that came with the computer, I vowed to use the tablet once I received it. After using the mouse the computer came with to install the tablet, I unhooked it shortly after and just used my tablet from then on.

The tablet hooked into the very same port that the original mouse did.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:12 PM

So they are both USB?

It sounds like a conflict of some kind. Can you post the list of running programs that you get from the Close Program box (Crtl+Alt+Del)?

#10 Whitesugar

Whitesugar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:29 PM

Kodak Software Updater Agent - (forgot to remove)
Explorer
Mpftray
Mscifapp
Mcvsescn
Msksrvr
Mpfagent
Msscli
Mskagent
Mcvsshld
Mcagent
Systray

I just rebooted my computer so you'd be provided with what programs are running as soon as I get into the desktop. There you go.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:04 AM

Unfortunately that doesn't tell me much. After thinking about this I'm sure that your problem concerns your Tablet mouse and your former mouse conflicting somehow. Is there anything in Add/Remove programs concerning your former mouse? If so remove it.

Can you tell me the make and model of that Tablet?

#12 Whitesugar

Whitesugar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:23 AM

I haven't yet removed the old mouse as I really don't know which device to remove.
My tablet is a intuos 2 wacom, I believe.
And the mouse is the default one that comes with all Dell Packages.

Under Devices..

[-]--- Mouse
HID-compliant mouse
PS2 (PS/2)

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:41 AM

Ok. If the mouse you are using is USB (which it is) then go into Device Manager and Highlight and remove PS2 (PS/2) and reboot and see if its any better.

#14 Whitesugar

Whitesugar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

I did, but still the same problem.
I even updated Nvidia's graphics driver thinking that might be related, but it still didn't do any good. Anymore suggestions?. :\

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:13 PM

This one has got me stumped. Try EVEREST Home Edition . When it loads, go to Menu>Storage>Smart and see if any errors are showing for your hard drive.

Also, in the Bios, do you have the boot order set for IDE0 as the first boot device? You can also get rid of the initial ME screen you say you never saw before in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users