Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound driver help PLEASE

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:05 AM

Hello
I did a clean install of WinXp Home edition. All went well but I can't seem to get the sound to work. In Device Manager there is a question mark for Multimedia-Audio Controller. I uninstalled it as well as the sound driver but after restarting it doesn't help. Dell's website is V E R Y slow and couldn't seem to download it. All I got was the download manager download and it kept saying there were no drivers to install.

Sorry.... This is for a Dell Demension 4550 running WinXp Home service tag is 5K0T121. That is 5K zero ....

Just need that sound driver

Thanks in advance
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&a...se&~ck=anav

Seems to be 3 different versions (left column), you need to select the appropriate version and download/install.

Louis

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

the Dell site will not take my service tag number. going crazy here
Tom

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

If it's onboard sound, you can try Windows update to see if the driver is available for download.
After you get to the update site, choose Custom scan. When it finishes, look under Hardware to see if it's listed there.
If it is, install it.

#5 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

OK Thanks will do it now. My brother in law found the CD's but it still wouldn't find them to download. Have device drivers and multimedia CD's

Thanks again
Tom

#6 noreilly

noreilly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

I have Dell Dimension 5000 I have driver but won't load (one or more files that are required are either missing or corrupt) would you have any idea how I could fix this.
Please help

#7 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

Your problem may require you to do a repair install to replace your missing files. If you have your operating CD you would use that to preform a repair

Hope this helps
Tom

#8 noreilly

noreilly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

I should have said that it is the video driver that won't load

Noodlesor

#9 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Back to my problem... I extracted the sound file from CD but when trying to install an error pops up stating ikernal.exe error (0-10000)
Tom

#10 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

Should I try a repair install also? I tried replacing the ikernal.exe file but when I go to install the sound driver again it pops right back up stating ikernal error Going crazy here
Tom

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

To Noreilly: Please initiate your own thread by starting your own post about your own problem. This thread is not intended to encompass any more than the problem stated by the OP or other situations on his system which may be revealed.

Thank you.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2010 - 05:48 PM.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

Should I try a repair install also? I tried replacing the ikernal.exe file but when I go to install the sound driver again it pops right back up stating ikernal error Going crazy here

Before you do that, have you tried Windows update to see if you can get the driver from there?
I don't know if Windows drivers will show up for a retail system.
But at this point, it's worth checking.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 January 2010 - 05:03 PM.

#13 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

Yes I did try Windows Update. I attempted to do a repair install but half way through it started with pop ups that certain files were corrupt. Windows media 11 was one. I then did another clean install, loaded the drivers and all is fine now.
Very strange to say the least.
Thank you for the help

Tom
Tom

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

At least you got the problem solved.

#15 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:33 AM

Yes but it took a full day to get the computer just right with the programs and FF installed for 4 users :thumbsup:. But it came out good. I used another Xp disc second time so I am wondering if the first disc has a glitch. Anyhow all's good
Thanks for the help
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users