Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security - I hate everything about you.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Computer Chic

The Computer Chic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:41 AM

I got this Dell laptop in the other day that was deeply taken over by Internet Security, or one of it's crazy cousins. These come to me so often, that I'm fairly routine at cleaning them up, or so I thought. I'd removed all of, as far as I could tell, had run a Malwarebytes' scan successfully (if by successful, you mean finding 500+ issues) off a USB drive, and was running a SuperAntispyware one when said computer just decided to restart on its own (the scan wasn't finished or anything).

Now, every time I try to boot up, I get BSoD's of either the 0x7E or 0x50 flavors. I cannot boot to safe mode or any of the other options. I can boot to a CD or FLASH and run scans and browse the HD. Hardware scans all come back okay. I've tried new RAM, resetting BIOS... I'm at a loss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

Hello see if it will run again after using RKill.
RKill....

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
You will need to run the application again if rebooting the computer occurs along the way.

Also...
SUPERAntiSypware has a built in "Repairs" feature to fix policy restrictions and certain Windows settings which are sometimes targeted by malware infection. To use this feature, launch SUPERAntiSypware.
  • Click the Repairs tab.
  • Click on (highlight) "Repair broken SafeBoot key" and then click the Repair button.
  • You may be asked to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 The Computer Chic

The Computer Chic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

I did rkill to get rid of the virus at first, but now I cannot boot to the internal HD at all. How would I use rkill from my boot CD on this other troublesome drive?

I also am not sure that when I use the repair feature in the SUPERAntiSpyware that it's making any changes to the C:\ drive and not just to my boot drive.

A bit more info: It's running Windows XP (well, it was anyway) and aside from booting to the external drive and that OS on it, it won't boot. Everytime I try to boot to the internal HD, it freezes on the BSOD and won't proceed any further. This happens regardless of which option I choose. (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc.)

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hello sorry for the delay. We had cable outage try running Rkill of a flash drive.

Bootup failure can be due to a variety of issues to include application faults, hardware failures, loose pin connections or malware infestation. Startup failures that occur before the OS loader (Ntldr) starts could indicate missing or deleted files, or damage to the hard disk master boot record (MBR), partition table, or boot sector. If a problem occurs during startup, the system might have incompatible software or drivers, incompatible or improperly configured hardware, or corrupted registry/system files. However, the first thing to do is check all your hardware connections and ensure they are fitted properly.

If you cannot bootup or logon in normal or safe mode, then your options are limited.If you choose Hiren's, please be aware:

While this collection of tools can be very useful, potential users should note that many of the tools are commercial applications that have not been legally licensed for redistribution, and so download/use/sharing of Hiren's BootCD may be illegal (depending on your legal jurisdiction).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiren%27s_BootCD

You may be able to use a Windows XP bootable Floppy Disk to boot from a diskette instead of your hard drive. If your hard drive's boot sector or Windows' basic boot files have been corrupted, this disk will circumvent the problem and boot you into Windows. If you don't have an emergency boot floppy, you may be able to use one created on another PC running Windows XP but there's no guarantee that it will boot your machine.Another option is to create a Bootable CD:These are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD utilities that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Note: In order to use a rescue disk, the boot order must be set to start from the CD-ROM drive. If the CD is not first in the boot order, the computer will attempt to start normally by booting from the hard drive. The boot order is a setting found in the computerís BIOS which runs when it is first powered on. This setting controls the order that the BIOS uses to look for a boot device from which to load the operating system. The default will normally be A:, C:, CD-ROM. Different computers have different ways to enter the BIOS. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to:If at some point, you are able to boot up but have difficulty running programs, you can try using the VIPRE Rescue Program - the size of the downloaded application is large. This is a utility designed to scan and clean a computer which is so badly infected that most programs cannot run. Virus definitions are included and the program is self-running once executed. All scans include Rootkit Detection. Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided on the same page for running under Windows or with the Command Line option from Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users