Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless connection gets stuck on IP from work when I come home

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jrubes77

jrubes77

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

I've been having a problem for the past week, that when I bring my laptop to work and connect to their network everything is fine. However when I return home and try connecting , it find s the wireless signal, but gives me only local access. SAme thing with a wired connection. I've checked ipconfig and I can see that its stuck with a different wireless ip 169.254... and i've tried renewing ip as well as doing the following commands:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or Windows 7.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine..

Doesn't seem to work. I usually have to do those commands, a few restarts and fully reset the router to original state.

Is something with my home router or is it an issue on my computer. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

What is make and model of the router?

It sounds like DHCP is turned off somewhere.

Can you post what you see when you type ipconfig /all and hit Enter at a command prompt?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users