Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 6 "page cannot be displayed"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:53 PM

Hi all.

I have had this problem for a while now and have never got round to fixing it.

I have a laptop on wireless internet and i mostly use AOL for browsing. However when i click on links from msn to my hotmail inbox etc. it opens up internet explorer and takes ages searching then comes up with " this page cannot be displayed". It also happens when i try to register my mcafee security center, so for all i know my computer could be full of viruses.

I mainly want this problem fixed so my computer can b safe from viruses and i can use mcafee but also internet explorer is so much easier to use.

Hope you can help

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 litlcntrygrl

litlcntrygrl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:49 PM

I just got a second computer and I am having a similar problem, although I don't use AOL. I use Bellsouth fast acess dsl lite for my ISP, and this computer has a wireless network card only (my other computer is hooked to the router and modem) I have no problems getting online or surfing, only acessing hotmail or yahoo mail. I can't log into hotmail w/o getting the "page cannot be displayed" message. I can log into yahoo, and it will show my main mail page that tells me how many messages are in my various folders, but if I try to get into any of those folders, including my inbox, I get the same "page cannot be displayed" message. I don't have any problems like that on the other computer in my house. I have windows xp home with sp2 installed (I have heard lots of bad things about sp2, but it was installed in the computer before we got it). I am using IE 6.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:31 PM

If you are having only problems with MSN and Yahoo, respectively, here are some things to take a look at.

MSN runs a lot of activeX, just as Yahoo runs Java. Check your browser settings to make sure they are not interfering with either application. Since you both insist on using IE, make sure the Yahoo and MSN sites are in your safe/trusted zone, and that you have enabled cookies for both.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 26 August 2005 - 11:31 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:53 AM

HI again.

I think it could be somehting to do with secure sites, as i have the same problem when signing into ebay and in general signing into secure sites.

What do you mean by active x interfering?

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:24 AM

WindowsXP, sp2 made some changes to the way activeX was allowed in IE that might be causing problems:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...n/sp2brows.mspx

And see this article, the part about "ActiveX Controls and Plug-Ins:"

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/...rity/setup.mspx

The latter discusses the various security zones; MSN sites would presumably need to be in the "trusted zone."

Regards,
John

\
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 litlcntrygrl

litlcntrygrl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:18 PM

I tried adding mail.yahoo.com to the trusted zone.......still got same thing. Any other suggestions? This computer is to be my mothers so she won't whine about me being online all the time.....if I don't figure this out I'll never hear the end of it!

Edited by litlcntrygrl, 27 August 2005 - 12:35 PM.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

I've had this problem since May. Searched and searched everywhere. The problem persists, but, at least for yahoo mail I have a solution.
I actually found another forum where this very subject was discussed
http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewtopic...er=asc&start=40

They don't have names there, and permit guests to post, so you will see several guests. My problem description and a goofy solution are these posts:
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:08 am
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 23:05 pm
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 0:11 am
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 0:14 am

Someone answered that it worked for him. And this mad old/wrong/manufactured link keeps working to this day.

The point of this 'solution' is to give yahoo a correct link, because their link now is simply not working. So any other button pointing to mail is worth investigating an copying the link.

I wish there was a REAL solution. Yahoo did not answer my complaint.

#8 litlcntrygrl

litlcntrygrl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:03 PM

I have never had any luck with yahoo tech support...so the fact that they never responded doesn't surprise me. I tried that suggestion, but that didn't work either.....i can still get into it with no problem on my old computer so it's got to be something to do with the other computer (just wish I knew what)

#9 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

I've looked at all of the active x stuff and im completely out of my depth with it

I just need a simple solution as to why i cannot access secure sites like my ebay, hotmail etc. without getting the "cannot find server or dns error page"!

I have trawled the internet searching for a resolution and this is my last resort so i will be very greatful if anybody can help me

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users