Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bokche

bokche

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:12 AM

Hi!

Have two OS, both Windows XP, on first partitions on two separate HDD. When HDDs are both connected to PC (as master and slave), everything's working fine and I can boot whichever OS I want. I made it just in case if something fails on one of HDD's, and have different applications installed on them because of memory.

When 1st HDD is disconnected, after turning PC on, I get message:
PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT
and 2nd HDD will not boot, nor show the boot menu from which i usually pick which OS i want.

I noticed that boot.ini file is located on the 1st HDD. I copied it to the root of 2nd HDD (also NTDETECT.COM & ntldr), but it still won't work. Tried also to change jumpers and checked everything in BIOS, but it just won't work with 2nd HDD.

Can somebody explain why I can't boot into XP installed on the 2nd HDD, when the 1st is disconnected?

Any comment is welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:47 AM

That's because bootloader is not installed on 2nd hard, its installed on first. Yes, it can be installed on 2nd hard disk, but lets focus on a different problem :

I am sure that you installed XP on 2nd hard disk when 1st hard disk was connected. The hard disks probably had partitions labeled C: and D: (maybe different, but lets assume). So the path for files and services and programs in Windows installed on D: is D:\ based. When you remove 1st hard disk, 2nd hard is seen as C:\ And even if you install the XP bootloader, you would be in the middle of a mess because of the change in path.

So you are stuck with both hard disks connected.

Edited by Romeo29, 22 January 2010 - 08:48 AM.

#3 bokche

bokche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:45 AM

That's because bootloader is not installed on 2nd hard, its installed on first. Yes, it can be installed on 2nd hard disk, but lets focus on a different problem :

I am sure that you installed XP on 2nd hard disk when 1st hard disk was connected. The hard disks probably had partitions labeled C: and D: (maybe different, but lets assume). So the path for files and services and programs in Windows installed on D: is D:\ based. When you remove 1st hard disk, 2nd hard is seen as C:\ And even if you install the XP bootloader, you would be in the middle of a mess because of the change in path.

So you are stuck with both hard disks connected.

Thanks for your reply.
When I boot with both disks, with windows on 1st disk, the 1st disk has 3 partitions: C, D, E, and 2nd has: U, V, W.
When boot with both disks, with windows on 2st disk, Windows directory is on D.

You said bootloader can be installed on 2nd HDD. How can I fix this, so I can boot with 2nd HDD, if 1st failed? That's why I made 2 XP's on separate HDD's!
Thanks.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:14 AM

Boot from the Windows XP CD into the "Rcovery Console". If you have not set an Administrator password, leave it blank.
Then type the following pressing Enter after each command :

fdisk /mbr
bootcfg /rebuild
fixboot
fixmbr

It may not work as I have explained before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users