Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security 2010

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jwmghf

jwmghf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:07 AM

Hey guys:

A buddy of mine uses the Microsoft user acount password protection before it lets you go to your desktop. He's tried a 1000X to get in. He puts in his password and it logs him in for a split second and then logs him back out. He's sent back to the same sign on screen. He basically stuck in an infinite loop. How can I help him out?? This all started when Internet Security 2010 automatically popped up and told him he had all kinds of viruses etc... He tried to close all the pop-ups and finally restarted the computer. That's when all of this started. I know about rkill and Malwarebytes, but I can't run them until I'm at the desktop. I have also created a BartPE disk spefically from his orginal installation cd if this could help.

Could I possibly take his hdd and put it in my computer as a secondary drive and run rkill and Malwarebytes or Kaspersky 2010 IS on his hdd to help cure the issues??? This this bug is a real pain in the XXX!!!

He is running XP Home edition. If you need anymore info just ask. Any ideas would be great!!!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:49 AM

it logs him in for a split second and then logs him back out

This will get you back in to Windows ...

Fix Windows XP LogOn/LogOff Loop ...... thinkinginpixels
http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...onlog-off-loop/

You may wish to view this thread: Similar problem.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the links Australien. I will check them out and post back.

#4 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

It worked like a charm. I am back in!!! A couple of things are still not right. From what I can tell after a short test drive is that I cannot connect to the internet and my system restore is still not allowing me to restore to a prior date.

Other than that all seems ok.

I spoke with the cable co. and they said they were able to ping my computer. Also, he had me rebuild the tcpip at the cmd prompt. What do you think my next step should be?? I am thinking to run hijackthis and post the log. Would that be the thing to do?? And lastly, would running a Windows Repair possibly accomplish anything??

Update:

I ran Combofix and it found a bunch of stuff!!! The internet came back. All is well!!!

Thanks again for the help!!!

Edited by jwmghf, 26 January 2010 - 02:12 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...t-security-2010

Louis

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:43 AM

Thanks again for the help!!!

No worries! Thank you for updating us ...
Best wishes
'Alien
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users