Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Redirect Problem!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 annietn84

annietn84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:54 AM

Operating System is Windows Vista. About 2 weeks ago, I googled the tv show on Bravo "Launch My Line" to find full episodes to watch. I continued to click on each links to find one that worked, until I realized one of the links I clicked on started to install something into my computer. I quickly closed the link and restarted my computer. The first thing I noticed was the start up change. There was a lot of pop-ups from Microsoft Windows. Each window giving a different program that has stopped working. The list of programs are HSDemo, Kinoubi.UI.UIManager2, Power Manager, SmartWi.exe, Vista Vaio Survey, and Vaio My Mem Center. Under that, all the windows say "A problem caused the program to stop workng correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." Then at the bottom of the window, there are two options to click on, "debug" and "close program". I tried both, but it didn't do anything but opened another window as if it's scanning and working to debug the problem but it goes right back to the same screen as the first with the "debug" and "close program" options. I then went into Internet Options under tools and deleted all temp files, cookies, etc., but the pop-ups were still there after I restarted it again. I didn't do anything after that and just went on browsing the internet. I noticed that when I went to search something on Google and clicked on a link, the browser automatically redirects me to another site other than what I had clicked on. In the beginning, it didn't happen too often, but a couple weeks later, I was redirected to different sites every single time I was clicking into a certain link on google. The most recent action I took to try to resolve this is that I went into Disk Cleanup and deleted everything that was "temporarily stored in the downloaded files". The disc cleanup says it deleted it all, but when I go back into Disc Cleanup there is still three files that are not deleted. These are the three: Downloaded program files, Temporary Internet Files, and Temporary Files all showing 0 bytes next to each. Another thing I noticed is after being online and browsing for about 10 minutes, a lot of the files that I deleted when I did Disc Cleanup the first time appears on the list again when I click into Disc Cleanup. This did not solve the microsoft windows pop up problem nor the redirecting of websites. Please help. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Old_compguy

Old_compguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

First question is what browser are you using?

If it is Firefox, go to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components

Look for a strange looking dll file - something like aaeecfedgee.dll (the letters will not be the same, but will be similar) and delete that file. Firefox must be closed prior to trying to delete it. File size is around 116k and there should only be two other dll files (browserdirprovider.dll & brwsrcmp.dll)in that folder and they are legitimate.

I had a problem similar to what you described where when using Google in Firefox I would be redirected to various other sites. None of the usual methods seemed isolate the problem, and believe me I tried most. I can't recall where I found the info on that strange dll, but it worked for me.

Now if you are using IE, I will defer that answer to those more qualified.

Cheers,

#3 annietn84

annietn84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

I'm using Internet Explorer. But thanks for the help anyway! I really appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users