Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bent pins on socket LGA 775

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:35 AM

alright all here is my dilemma-I just got my hands on a LGA socket 775 Intel Celeron processor. I want to make a cheap linux machine for it, not spend a lot of money on the machine, so ive been hunting around on ebay. I don't have a lot of experience with intels pin less CPUs so bear with me. I found one motherboard, a gigabyte board that I can pick up dirt cheap-only one problem, according to the seller the socket has 1 bent pin in the socket itself. So here is my question, I know with AMD and old intel CPUs that have pins, in my experience, 9 out of 10 with some care the pins can be bent back into position and the CPU would still work. with the socket 775 with the pins on the socket, is this also true? Has anyone tried fixing this problem, and what luck did you have with it? easy hard/successful, not successful? I know that technically, the smart thing to do is find one in mint condition or buy one new, but im on a tight budget and dont want to put a lot of money into this thing (not planning on using it as a primary computer, but rather something I can play around with linux a lot and not have to worry about messing up my primary system) thanks in advance for your feedback. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:36 AM

It depends on how bent "bent" is.
If in the event of trying to straighten out the bent pin, it breaks off, your stuck with a cheap board that does not work. (unless the bent pin is not used)
You did not say how cheap "cheap is" But you still run the risk of spending your money on a useless piece of hardware.
I am glad that the person is honest enough to state that the board has a bent pin....its really a tough call, to suggest buying it.
You could ask which pin it is and check the specs, to see if its an unused pin. If thats the case, then go for it, if the pin breaks off while trying to straighten it out, theres no loss.

Good luck!
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:55 AM

were talking 10-15 dollars. I dont see myself spending more then 25 on a used motherboard, and no more then 15 on something thats damaged in any way, im pretty cheap in tha t regard, and if it wasnt for basically a play system, I wouldnt even consider a used part. question is, I thought all the pins were used, I wasnt aware there were unused pins in a CPU

Edited by the_patriot09, 22 January 2010 - 06:29 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

Not so much "unused" pins, but "redundant" pins. There are multiple power and ground pins, all of which are not needed for the CPU to operate properly. There are unused pins as well.

Here is a PDF with the pin layout. Skip to the end of it for a diagram.
http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/appnote/303334.pdf

IMHO, as long as the pin/contact isn't broken/missing, they are easy to straighten out.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

alright thankyou for your reply. :D

picard5.jpg

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

thankyou all for your replies, I decided not to purchase that board (someone decided they wanted it more then me, it went for 31 dollars) and ended up getting a Biostar board instead that according to the seller is in perfect physical condition (though he was selling it as non-working because he never got a chance to test it, so Im hoping it works. otherwise back to the drawing board) anyway, thankyou guys.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users