Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Virus infecting my computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 CPDrummer

CPDrummer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:05 AM

Hello,

About 3 days ago, I was on my computer with youtube, myspace, and google running. My computer randomly froze, so I decided to just let it sit, figuring it was just a hiccup. After about 10 minutes it was still frozen, so I did a hard shutdown. When I started my computer back up, I got 3 the error notifications asking me to send an error report. Two of them were for "Google Installer" and the other one was for "ViewMgr." All 3 showed up right away as my profile started loading. Imediately after that, my computer said there has been a hardware change that required me to re-activate windows and that I had to do it in 3 days. Nothing has been changed in my computer, so that couldn't be true. I decided that I was going to try to do a System Restore. The system restore wouldn't and still won't go past the "Confirm Restore Point Selection" page. I click the Next button countless times, and nothing happens. I decided to then try a system restore in safe mode. It wouldn't go past the same page. I restarted and ended up just re-activating it.

Since I've done that, I can't sign into my normal profile straight from start up. I have to run safe mode first, then restart and go to my normal profile. If I try to start without going to safe mode first, my system will hang at the "Windows is starting up..." screen. When I do start it up on with safe mode first, the system will still hang at the "Windows is starting up..." screen before going into the login screen, but it stays there for 45 seconds - 2 minutes. When I sign in, the same 3 error reports show up and my wallpaper shows up, that's it. The start bar, icons, etc. doesn't ever load. I can only get my icons and whatnot visible if I log out of my profile, then log back in. When I do that, my wallpaper will be missing, and the computer will completely freeze after 9 minutes of being on.

I've tried to download anti-virus / anti-spyware programs onto the computer I'm on right now, and using a flash drive to transfer it to my computer (in safe mode,) but none of the programs will run scans. When I load my computer in Safe Mode with Networking, I can go to google, but if I click on any links in google, it takes me to a page that has nothing to do with what I wanted. If I try to go to an anti-virus software site, the window will either just close, or it'll say it's unable to load the page.

I tried running DDS and RootRepeal in safe mode, but was unsuccessful. DDS wouldn't run at all, and said something about it not being a valid Win32 program or something along those lines. RootRepeal would run, but freezes in the same place every time and won't go any further. I let it sit frozen for 2 hours to check. I'm at a loss here.

Thank you in advance for the help, I really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:41 AM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.

Please describe the issues you are experiencing with your computer.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 CPDrummer

CPDrummer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.

Please describe the issues you are experiencing with your computer.

The only reason I wasn't able to post logs is because my computer wouldn't let the scans run. I was fully intending on posting the logs after I got that problem resolved. I've already described my issues in the post above.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,204 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:50 AM

Well then lets try to get those logs produced :thumbsup:

We need to create an OTL Report
  • Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a new topic in the HJT forum:
    • OTListIt.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized
Let me know if you were able to do this. If not, we will try something else :flowers:

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 CPDrummer

CPDrummer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:40 AM

Well then lets try to get those logs produced :thumbsup:

We need to create an OTL Report

• Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a new topic in the HJT forum:
    • OTListIt.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized
Let me know if you were able to do this. If not, we will try something else :flowers:

OTL worked well, thank you. The topic with my logs in it is here.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,204 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hello, well done :thumbsup:

Now for the hard and frustrating part: waiting.

Now that you have posted a log, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users