Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I add XP Pro to laptop already loaded with Win 7?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ascoredhat

ascoredhat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:01 AM

I was wondering if there is a way, and if so, what the steps would be to add Windows XP Pro as an alternate operating system to my laptop that already has Windows 7 Home Premium on it.

I have a few computers set up at home that I put on a network which shares printers, and they all have Windows XP Pro on them and work with the older printers and each other just fine. I got the laptop a few days ago and tried to get it set up with the network and printers and have had "some" success, in that it can see the network and share the data on what I have set up as a "server", but I've had no success in getting it to share the printers. The main reason seems to be I get the error message that it can't find the drivers, and I have a feeling it's because the printers have no current driver that works with Win 7 (I went to their download sites, but no Win 7 drivers were offered). Actually, I've never had any messages asking for drivers when I've captured the printers on the other XP machines. I don't know if it's the lack of a current driver for them or because Win 7 Home requires them regardless, unlike the XP Pro (with the XP Pro I guess they just use the drivers already installed on the host computers). I've also had trouble getting the Outlook 2000 I put on it to work, saying it can't find an address book or wab.dll file or something or other. Again, never a problem when setting up the XP machines, so either a driver issue to just that Win 7 has trouble with old programs.

Anyhow, I wondered if the way to get around this issue would be to add the XP Pro (which is better for networking than a Home edition) to the laptop and have it as a separate thing I can choose at boot up and just put all my networking data on that and basically turn it into an XP Pro machine when I want to do my work, but still have the option to switching to Win 7 should I want to (I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of it as I would only then have to run out and pay $$ to buy it again).

How does a person go about doing this? If I just stuck the XP disc in and did an install, would it give me the option to just set it up as a second operating system without hurting the 7 that is already in there? Is there a site that gives easy step-by-step for morons like me to do this right without messing up partitions or whatever?

Thank you in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:12 AM

Sure you can. It's pretty easy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-...ndows-7-xp.html

Scroll down to method two "when Windows 7 is installed first".

Thank you in advance for your help.

You're welcome. :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 22 January 2010 - 12:12 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users