Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me@ How do I get a faster computer??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Qin

Qin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

Hi all, I am not sure whether I am in the right place here or not.But I just want to know how to easily speed up my computer because it runs desperately slow. I am running windows Xp which is about two years old. Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

Start here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Joeeee

Joeeee

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:54 AM

Use system restore to restore your computer to the condition it was when you bought it. At the blue screen when you start your computer press f10. This will get rid of all the files you've saved if you press advanced options then destructive system restore which I recommend to restore your computer to the completely new condition.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

System restore is not the same thing as restoring the computer to factory conditions. The latter is essentially a reformat and reinstall. The former simply take you back in time to a certain extent. It is used if something went wonky when installing or updating something.

A reformat and reinstall is not necessary to restore speed to a computer.

A destructive reformat and reinstall will result in losing all programs and files created since using the computer. Copies and backups of all these would be necessary plus notating all the license keys for installed programs prior to the destructive reformat. All updates to the OS would also have to be redone once the reinstallation is complete.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Leo Stone

Leo Stone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:08 AM

It is for sure that every computer will become slow as days by and other kinds of causes. If it is an old computer, if possible, you can try adding an RAM modules, or update graphics card, or purchase a whole new computer package to directly speed up the computer But you can try the normal tips below to speed it up without any cost.

1) Uninstall the programs that you don't need.
2) Delete the files you donít need
3) Use the disk clean-up option in Windows to regularly clean up the system junk files.
4) Turn off System Restore feature.
5) Use a reliable registry cleaner to clear the windows registry.
6) Regularly scan the computer for viruses and spyware.
7) Remember to disable some unneeded startup items.

You can see more information here: http://ezinearticles.com/?Slow-Computer---...&id=3643022. Good luck!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:31 AM

Do NOT "use a reliable registry cleaner", there is no such thing. When dealing with the registry, the user is the reliability factor. Trusting a 3d-party program to maintain something you don't understand...is asking for trouble, IMO. "Fools gold" is the way that I would desribe the majority of programs touting themselves as "registry cleaners".

Generally speaking...the registry may contain entries which are no longer valid (files moved, programs deleted, etc.). Just as the files on a system may reflect items which no longer have any relevance.

But this generally creates no problems for a system which has routine maintenance (chkdsk /r, defrag) performed on it and removing such registry entries, if done, should be done manually by someone who understands what the registry is and what it is not.

The items which have the greatest import on system speed...insufficient space on system partition, startups, junk toolbars and programs, and RAM installed...along with lack of proper maintenance...are the direction I would suggest going.

Louis

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:26 PM

4) Turn off System Restore feature.

I would never recommend turning off System Restore as it can be a very valuable thing to have. I see no reason that it would slow a system down as it only creates restore points when the system is not being used and it only takes a minute or so for it to make it. It does occasionally add things to those restores points while the comptuer is being used, but I have never found that it slows anything down at all. It only seems to add things to the restore point when certain things are removed from the system or some major change has been made.

Since it does not slow my system down with only 640 meg of ram, I find it hard to believe to believe that it would slow any system down.

6) Regularly scan the computer for viruses and spyware.
7) Remember to disable some unneeded startup items.

Those are the first things I would check in a system that has slowed down. Also if the slow down started after installing an antivirus program, I would try a different one. Some antivirus programs can slow a particluar system down when it does not slow another one down and if one is slowing it down, I would try a different antivirus program as it might not slow it down as much

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:02 PM

some FYI:

system recovery to factory is an OEM thing. (brand specific) and only since 2004 for most big name brands (Dell, HP/compaq, toshiba ect..)

f-10 at the splash screen is for HP and Compaq models.
ctrl f-11 is for dell. Other brands use different methods including some that require a setting on the bios to see the recovery partition.

The HP recovery partition actually has a "non destructive" recovery mode by default which can preserve data. However it is optimistic about your installed programs and actually makes most of them unusable requiring a reinstall.

If you give us a bit more detailed info on your computer (service tag, model ect..) we may be able to give you some detailed info. ram mainboard drive size antivirus and antimaleware installed can all have impact on the speed.

Let's not get carried away guessing with not enough info.

Read the stickeys at the top of this page as well.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 01 February 2010 - 05:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users