Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ancient Flaw Affects Windows NT3.1 through Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

Tavis Ormandy posted this message to the Full Disclosure security mailing list. It describes a flaw in the 16-bit emulation subsystem of the Windows NT kernel. The NT Kernel is the basis for Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. 64-bit versions are unaffected. Microsoft has confirmed the report.

The flaw, if exploited, would allow an attacker to execute programs and commands with full System user rights. In Windows, the System user is even more powerful than the Administrator.

Microsoft was informed of this flaw on June 12, 2009. No patch has been issued.

Further reading:
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/17-year...vered-20100120/
http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item...ate-908917.html

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 21 January 2010 - 10:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

No patch has become available, although Ormandy reports that Microsoft was already informed of the hole in mid 2009. The developer decided to publish the information regardless because, in his opinion, there is a simple workaround: to disable the MS-DOS subsystem.

The workaround requires users to start the group policy editor and enable the "Prevent access to 16-bit applications" option in the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Application Compatibility section.

Some folks are still asking Will 16-bit applications and games be able to run on Windows 7 64-bit?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

Indeed, is it even possible for a 16 bit program to successfully run on Windows 7?
To test, I downloaded some ancient compilers from Borland, compiled a Hello World program in C using my now old P-3 computer. Tried to run it in Windows 7 and Vista, but it failed giving some memory address error.

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

Err.....scary.......something that old has come around to be a vulnerability......(actually, what would be scarier is if there was some function from the first computers that was still in these days computers that would cause a vulnerability....but then again, I don't even know if there is something THAT ancient that could be in today's computers.....)

Edited by scff249, 24 January 2010 - 01:47 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users