Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D & E and Code 39

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blueaxe

blueaxe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

Right off let me say this is a pretty cool site. And because of the extensive knowledge of members and staff along with the great tutorials, I have never had to post a query. (enough of a b-nose?) :thumbsup:
Till now :inlove:

I have a Dell Dimension 5100 (Aug '05 vintage)- Pentium 4 (2.8G), XP Home (ver. 2002) , w/ service pack 3, 2G RAM, and using Firefox, Avast, Webroot Firewall, Defender

My two factory-installed CD/DVD drives--
D) HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GDR8163B (position 0)
E) NEC-ND 3530A (position1)
--have gone missing.
Well, they're there, but they're not. :flowers:

When I went to My Computer I used to see drives C:, D:, and E:
Three days ago, I dropped in a music CD into the tray of D.......Nothing. Tried E.....Ditto.
Went to M/C and lo and behold............ they were gone; split; vamoosed; am-scrayed!!!

WTF?? :trumpet:

So I started looking... I went to Device Manager, and there they were! But they had bright yellow dots and black exclamation points alongside them like they had been misbehaving.
I double click and the Device Status window tells me the drivers are either missing or corrupt.
(Code 39)
Next I click the Drivers Tab and check the Driver Details: (same for both units)
C:\WINDOWS\System 32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
" \imap.sys
" \redbook.sys
C:\WINDOWS\System32 \storprop.dll
File ver. 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp 080413-2108)

They all have green check marks to their left like they're lining up for St. Paddy's Day. (are they still OK?)
Next, I click Driver Updates to find that there was no better match for my system and that I should continue using what I've got. Clicking Rollback didn't help either as I was told no drivers had been backed up and would I like to launch Troubleshooter. OK so I try that and uninstall and reinstall and I'm back to square one.

Down, but not out.
I go to the Dell site to maybe get some new drivers right? Maybe.
I download the "Firmware?" for drive E, because it's all I can find and try to install it and it tells me tha the target is not found correctly.
Anybody got any ideas? This isn't really life-threatening but I'd like to be able to use my drives.
BTW- They seem to operate correctly (mechanical-wise) and I did a diskcheck, along with several scans for malware & viruses, and everything seems to be OK.
I really would appreciate any help anyone could offer. Thanks.........Cheers.................Blueaxe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Right click on the drives in the Device Manager and select "uninstall". After you have uninstalled them both reboot the computer (they will be automatically reinstalled).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 blueaxe

blueaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

Thanks Budapest, but I tried that. Alas, to no avail. .....................Blueaxe

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

Did you install any new drivers via "Windows Update" recently? Specifically chipset drivers?

Just for grins, try installing the "chipset" drivers and see if anything changes.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...atid=&impid

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 blueaxe

blueaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:32 AM

Funny you should mention that dp, cause I just did it today. But the drives are still MIA. :thumbsup:
I also have since gone to Microsoft Support and accessed article #314060 and deleted my Lower Filters from the registry and still No-Go.

I'm running out of ideas.

Anyone else?

.....................Blueaxe

Edited by blueaxe, 22 January 2010 - 03:40 AM.

#6 blueaxe

blueaxe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:22 AM

Well Hallelujah! The Boys Are Back In Town!!! :thumbsup:
Apparently I missed something because I when went back into the registry and looked around and to my utter surprise there were the Upper Filters! Well they went the way of the Dodo and PRESTO!! All is right with the world.

Thanks to Budepest and dpunisher for their undying support :huh:

I'd also like to thank all the 'little people'......

Seriously, PROPS to all the folks who keep this show up and runnin'. How's about a round of applause..........

:flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :woot: :cool:

Thanks again..............................Blueaxe

Edited by blueaxe, 22 January 2010 - 04:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users