Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resizing Images for Desktop Background / Avatar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hunnybunny

hunnybunny

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

Can anyone suggest how best to resize an image to use for my desktop background or for a forum avatar?

Tools? or better yet, a tutorial to help me understand how to manipulate images.

This is something I'd really like to learn and find it overwhelming :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

Here you go:
Resizing An Image Using Irfanview

If you have any questions, just ask.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hunnybunny

hunnybunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

Here you go:
Resizing An Image Using Irfanview

If you have any questions, just ask.

I've heard a lot about Irfanview, but don't want to inundate you with questions -- that said, hope there's enough info in Faq's to get me started.

Thanks!

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

You're welcome, hunnybunny.
I don't mind questions, that's what we're here for. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 hunnybunny

hunnybunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

You're welcome, hunnybunny.
I don't mind questions, that's what we're here for. :thumbsup:

tg:

I do have a question for you re: Irfanview: resizing an image for desktop background.

I was able to resize a favorite image of mine for my home monitor res: (1024x738) however, I would like to resize the same image for my work monitor (1280x1024) but this size doesn't seem to be an option. Can I customize this in some way?

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

Open the image in Irfanview.
In the toolbar click Image, and select Resize/Resample...
When the dialog box opens put a tick next to Set New Size.
Enter the Width, and Height you want.
Put a tick next to pixels.
Under Size method, put a tick next to Resample, click the dropdown arrow, and select Lanczos filter.
Click OK.

That should do it for you.

NOTE:
You have just so much information stored in that smaller image.
When you try to enlarge an image, you're basically pulling the pixels apart, and the program has to "guess" what is to occupy the additional space between the pixels.
Most programs aren't very good at "guessing".
I imagine, there are some high-end (expensive) image editing programs that are better at "guessing", than other programs, but I can't say for sure.
Even then, I'd imagine the results would be mediocre, at best.
So, don't expect to have the same image quality with the enlarged image, as you had with the smaller image.

#7 hunnybunny

hunnybunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

When the dialog box opens put a tick next to Set New Size.
Enter the Width, and Height you want.
Put a tick next to pixels.
Under Size method, put a tick next to Resample, click the dropdown arrow, and select Lanczos filter.
Click OK.

That should do it for you.

NOTE:
You have just so much information stored in that smaller image.
When you try to enlarge an image, you're basically pulling the pixels apart, and the program has to "guess" what is to occupy the additional space between the pixels.
Most programs aren't very good at "guessing".
I imagine, there are some high-end (expensive) image editing programs that are better at "guessing", than other programs, but I can't say for sure.
Even then, I'd imagine the results would be mediocre, at best.
So, don't expect to have the same image quality with the enlarged image, as you had with the smaller image.

I tried your suggestion, however when I entered "1280" the Height defaulted to "960". I noticed in the "new size" drop down list there were 2 options: 1280x800 and 1280x960. Can I assume that 1280x960 is the closest I'll get?

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

I tried your suggestion, however when I entered "1280" the Height defaulted to "960".

That's because the program automatically calculates the new dimension to retain the exact proportions, when reducing or enlarging an image.

As tg1911 pointed out, enlarging an image from the original will cause the pixels to stretch and result in loss of quality in most cases.
On the other hand, reducing the size of an image will in most certainty, retain the quality.
However, reducing it drastically will result in the loss of detail.

In your case, i.e for a desktop background (wallpaper), you can use a slightly bigger image size over the supported resolution and let Windows re-size it to fit your screen perfectly. :thumbsup:

For an avatar, make sure the original image isn't too big. I suggest you CROP the required section out of the original image and re-size that (cropped selection) to the specified avatar resolution.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 27 January 2010 - 07:50 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

When the dialog box opens, make sure Preserve aspect ratio is not checked.

That's why your image defaults to a given height when entering the width.
Removing the checkmark will allow you to enter the dimensions of your choice into the Width:, and Height: boxes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users