Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot from OEM Version Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:23 PM

I have purchased the Windows 7 Professional from my computer mfg. (They have been of no help thus far)

I am presently running Vista 32 bit and am trying to do a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit. I have enough RAM (4G) and my processor is capable of handling Windows 7 64 bit according to both Microsoft and the computer mfg.

I have reset the BIOS to boot from the DVD/CD. When I start the computer it goes to the DVD/CD and then gives me a choice:

Option 1
Option 2

There are no descriptions and I really don't know what to do at this point. The DVD/CD was created by Microsoft and is legit.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.
TryN :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:08 AM

A legitimate Windows 7 DVD shows, Press any key to boot from DVD.... when you set DVD as first boot device in BIOS and start your computer.
When you press a key to boot from DVD, it starts Windows setup.

What happens when you choose either option?

#3 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:04 AM

After doing everything, Microsoft neglects to tell you that it will come up with Option 1, Option 2. So last night I chose Option 1. It then went to boot from CD. It started the install. I chose the custom, to hopefully reformat the hard drive before installing. What it didn't tell you is that you have to get the cd out of the system at the first shut down or it goes into an endless booting from the CD and starts the install process over and over again. It took about an hour and a half to install. It is now up and running but, I need to find out if it indeed installed the 64 bit system. I was too tired last night to go any further.

I did receive an email from a friend who told me that I would NOT be able to install Win 7 64 bit over a Vista 32 bit system. So now I really don't know what I've done.

My plans this am are to check everywhere I know how to access to see if: 1. Did it install a 64 bit system and 2. Did it install properly.

Why does this stuff have to be so confusing and difficult! It did not follow any of the directions that Microsoft has posted all over the net. The computer did not shut down several times. It did not under custom install come back to show me that the hard drive had been reformated and all 500G was available for the install like Microsoft said it should. So at this point I am very leery.

Any pointers you may have would be welcomed!

Thank you for your reply.
TryN2

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

In my opinion, you have a custom made DVD for Windows7 installation provided by your computer manufacturer. But then, I have not seen the DVD and I may be very well wrong.

1. Did I install 64 bit Windows?
To check press the key combination, Windows Key + Pause as shown in the following picture. A system information window will pop up showing you if you have 32 bit or 64 bit Windows installed.
Posted Image

2. Did it install properly?
I am sorry, but I find myself unable to answer that, because I am not sitting in front of your computer. So if your Windows is working properly, we can assume it was installed ok.

In Windows 7 custom install, you have to format first, by right clicking on a shown partition. You can also delete partitions in same way. Once you select and click Next, Windows setup takes over. BY default, the setup does not format and makes a folder Windows.000 in which it copies all the old files on the partition.

Edited by Romeo29, 22 January 2010 - 09:18 AM.

#5 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thank you so much. It said that it did install, however, I am leery as it is showing me a prgram86 file. The way I installed I did NOT format the hard drive. When I do right click it is warning me that everything will be lost.

System files
recovery files
important software

I have backed up all my data and have all the original CD's of my software to load once Windows 7 64 is loaded.

Is it okay to reformat the drive so that I do have a clean install with no other garbage from Vista 32 bit on the system?

I want to thank you so much for the insight and your helpfulness! Maybe you should write instructions for Microsoft!

:huh:

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

Do you have two program file folders?
one is for the 32 bits programs (x86) and the other (program files) is for the native 64 bits applications.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

Yes I do. To be on the safe side I did a clean with reformat the hard drive install. So far everything seems to be working fine. I am now in the process of loading up printer drivers, security and software.

Thanks for everybody's help. I don't know what I would do without this board and it's constant wealth of information!

Thanks again to all!!!!
:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users