Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD crashed, new drive cant connect/and how to recover data?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harleysgirl

harleysgirl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hi all, hope I can find some help, though Im not sure Im in the right forum. Im running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario. Was browsing the internet yesterday when my screen went black and the system rebooted. Error msg- Windows cannot start/ boot time error (something to that effect), tried to restart and got "sys32\hal.dll" is missing or corrupt" Fine, dealt with that n anther computer not too log ago. Went to do a repair from the OS disk, but it's not showing that drive in order for me to choose it to repair. I booted on an older drive (original "C" drive, intact OS, still operable just bogged down with programs, so I installed new HD with XP about a year ago), opened "My Computer" to look at the "E" drive (new drive) and it said the drive needed formatting (which I didnt do, my heart dropped thinking all those files are now lost). Im hoping I can recover files from it, but in order to do that I need to get on some kind of forum to ask how. My old drive is just to slow to maneuver enough to make any repairs from there, so I added another HD ("F") and a clean XP install. Problem here is that it doesnt see my nVidia nForce networking adapter so I cant connect to my home network or the internet. Ive tried getting the drivers from the internet, but all Ive found redirect me to the nVidia website which then says I have the most up to date drivers already (because Im accessing it from the original C drive).
Ok, so any ideas on how to get connected when I cant get the drivers?
How about trying to recover anything from the crashed drive? (please oh please oh please)
Thanks in advance for any help provide

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

I get drivers...from either the website of the system manufacturer or that of the motherboard manufacturer, depending on whether the system is custom-built or store-bought.

Any drivers which are downloadable can be burned to CD...and then used on a different system. I've never seen drivers which are not downloadable at a website existing (in part) for that purpose.

As for data recovery...you might try Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File Recovery - Home - http://www.recuva.com/.

Louis

#3 harleysgirl

harleysgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

Thanks Louis,
my problem though is that I cant find the nVidia drivers except for the nVidia site, which has a detect function for identifying which drivers are needed. The drive Im using to connect from in order to get the drivers, has up to date drivers, so I cant get to the ones I need to d/l. Maybe Im not going about it right, but Ive been there several times and cant seem to get to the right drivers

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

What model Presario?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users