Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What computer to buy?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 taly

taly

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

My wife is a moderator/administrator on a busy forum (with as many as 10 windows going) and uses yahoo messenger every day. We're not interested in games, movies, or high-resolution graphics---just the occasional youtube. We don't need to store a lot of pictures or music, just the odd pdf or other text files.

Current tower is starting to get old and slow. We do the usual ccleaner, defrag, 3 spyware/malware, mrt, antivirus, windows updates, etc. (Bought it used five years ago and never opened it to clean, so I should do that.)

Dell
XP SP3
30G HD
1.7 speed
512 ram
Recent 17" flat screen

Probably looking for something used. Don't have any idea if we should be looking at more than XP.

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

How about narrowing down the choices to a max of 5 models, from the BestBuy website?

And I'm sure we can help you from there.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

A stated price range might also help narrow options.

Even though you have a tower now, is a tower what you are looking for?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#4 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. The only requirement is fast and cheap (not unlike my wife). Used is fine.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

So did you have a look at the BestBuy site?
Look in the 'Everyday desktops' category.

How far on the price, are you willing to go?

#6 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the help. I was thinking about something used for under $200. I just learned we have zero balance on our Costco credit card, so I'll probably get something new for under $500.

My step-son had a little difficulty with Best Buy customer service and warranty coverage. Costco has always been super at taking care of things right away with a most friendly attitude. They automatically double manufacturers' warranties.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

edit: Previous content was irrelevant.

As suggested by tvlandman, you could definitely upgrade your current tower, to the maximum possible extent.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 February 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#8 tvlandman

tvlandman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:16 AM

Rather than buy a new desktop, an inexpensive alternative is to increase your PC's memory. You said your Dell has 512MB of RAM (as mine did) and is about the same age as mine. Most computers today have capabilities to expand RAM. If your computer is the Dimension 2400 (like mine), you can increase the RAM to 2GB by buying two 1GB memory sticks and placing one in the slot where the 512MB memory stick is and placing the other in the adjacent empty memory slot. I ordered my memory sticks from Memorystore.com for about $30.00 each. They are very easy to install and made a tremendous difference in speed and performance (and that was me only installing one 1GB stick into the vacant slot and leaving the 512MB alone!) If I would go ahead and replace the 512MB with the other 1GB stick, it would be even faster. My desktop is like a new machine again. This was the single most simple and effective upgrade I made to my computer, and it worked so well that I increased the memory in my two laptops as well. Made a huge difference and they are like new machines again!!

Edited by tvlandman, 01 February 2010 - 02:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users