Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32bit versus 64 bit versions of Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 captbill

captbill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

In a recent article in PC world, it was suggested that it was better to install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 instrad of the 32 bit version. I have always been under the impression that the cpu determined the bit width. I have been using the the 32 bit version of Vista with the Intel core duo T7500 cpu. Can any one tell me if the 64 bit will work? What are the pros and cons?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

This topic has been discussed here and here.

Take look at those threads, then come back to your thread with any questions or comments. No need to rehash the nitty-gritty about it.

Your processor is 64-bit, but I personally think that 32-bit gives better performance (this is discussed in greater detail in the threads I gave links to). Generally speaking, the only reason to use 64-bit would be because you need more than 4GB of RAM (32-bit Windows cannot recognize more than 4GB). But for the average user, this is unnecessary. Although, just about every new computer that comes with Windows 7 has 64-bit.....probably so they can charge more. :huh:

I use 32-bit.

Any questions? :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 21 January 2010 - 04:57 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Bolsterplate

Bolsterplate

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

Every time I play around with 64-bit windows I always seem to run into one sort of nuisance issue or another. I want to use my computer, not troubleshoot it every time I want to try something new. I haven't toyed with 64 bit Windows 7 since the RC so driver and application issues may be something of the past. My pet peeve -- nuisance issues aside -- is dealing with the two program files folders. My buddy runs 64 bit and loves it. One man's meat is another man's poison.

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:29 AM

If you buy the up/grade package you get both 32 and 64 bit disks there's no extra cost,64 bit is supposed to be more secure? I use 64 Bit without any problems or issues some people are saying that all Mfg are going to be installing 64 bit on all pc's eventually.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

I use 64 Bit without any problems or issues some people are saying that all Mfg are going to be installing 64 bit on all pc's eventually.

Windows 7 is the last operating system with 32 bit support. The next version of Windows, Windows 8 would be totally 64 bit Windows with no support for 32 bit applications.
So yes eventually everything (hardware and software) would be 64 bit.

I remember reading an old issue of Microsoft Journal of around 1997-1998 in which Matt Pietrek (famous for his Under the Hood column) is dreaming about a day when we would have 64 bit software. Well, that day has come in around 10 years. So celebrate instead of sulking :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users