Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP thinks it's in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chicago_Paul

Chicago_Paul

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

Hello,

I searched the forum and did not find this issue.

I am running XP SP3 and ran several of the well known anti-virus/malware apps after the Vundo virus slipped by my resident anti-virus app and infected my PC.

Some of the anti-virus/malware apps required temporarily disabling System Restore and rebooting in Safe Mode.

The disinfection cleaned my PC successfully, but broke some services. For example, when I go into Computer Management and try to restart a service (like Print Spooler), an error message pops up saying "Cannot start service in Safe Mode".

The system is definitely not in Safe Mode, but some internal flag seems to say otherwise. Neither MSConfig nor c:\boot.ini indicates safe mode. The only suspicious thing I found was this registry entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Environment\SAFEBOOT_OPTION (value = NETWORK). Setting it to other values does nothing; it simply resets to NETWORK after reboot.

Thank you!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

Try sfc /scannow, you will need your xp cd. It may or may not fix the issue.

#3 Chicago_Paul

Chicago_Paul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

sorry - I should have mentioned in my original post that SFC is also broken:

"Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.]"

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

<<[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Environment\SAFEBOOT_OPTION (value = NETWORK).>>

I find no such value in that key, mine ends with Environment (which reflects various values, no safeboot option.

Louis

attachment=44557:screen2.jpg]<<

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users