Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PROFESSIONAL MALWARE COMBAT

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 BottlecapMatt

BottlecapMatt

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

The purpose of this thread is my attempt at taking my malware combat skills to the next level. I've seen people posting stuff like "oh, there's no universal method, it's all personal preference." Well, I disagree with this. I have a method that, if I can get it installed and updated, works 99% of the time. Here it is:

1) Install and update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run a deep scan with the ethernet cable unplugged then reboot.

2) Install and update Superantispyware and run a deep scan with the ethernet cable unplugged then reboot.

3) Install and update Avira AntiVir and run a deep scan with the ethernet cable unplugged then reboot.

4) Repeat steps 1-3 until they stop finding infections.

=NOTE= If I can't get them installed/updated I install and update in Safe Mode with Networking.

Now, I know this doesn't make me a professional at removing viruses but oh my goodness it is incredibly effective. I remove viruses using this technique at least twice a week and the users are never disappointed. Well, there is that 1% of the time where the virus will disable safe mode and then i'm stuck. That's where you come in. My questions are:

1) What can be done if safe mode is disabled?

2) What can be done if internet connectivity is disabled?

3)What would you add or subtract from my method?

4)Where can I go about learning how to take malware combat to the next level?

I have a degree in Information Technology and have been working tech support for over 3 years. Don't hesitate to get incredibly technical with me. Let me know what you think! I need your help Bleeping Computer Guys!
Never pay for malware protection. All you need can be had for free. Don't be a sucker.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

dont the anti-virus programs conflict with each other?
id remove each anti-virus program after using it before adding the next one - ive had 3 computers/laptops screwed up by techies,like you, who decide to install a bunch of anti-virus programs at the same time.

as for not having internet - keep the programs on disc and insert the discs?

to learn more about malware combat check out the forums here and google 'malware tutorials' and check through some of those.

Joe.

#3 BottlecapMatt

BottlecapMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

id remove each anti-virus program after using it before adding the next one - ive had 3 computers/laptops screwed up by techies,like you, who decide to install a bunch of anti-virus programs at the same time.

to learn more about malware combat check out the forums here and google 'malware tutorials' and check through some of those.

Joe.

Oh Joe. Sweet simple Joe. No, they do not cause conflicts because only Avira is an Antivirus program that monitors in real time. The other two are anti-spyware that do NOT monitor in real time and thus do not cause conflict. If you browse the forums yourself, you will find out that what I say is true. Also, be sure to know what you're talking about before accusing "techies like me" of screwing up computers.
Never pay for malware protection. All you need can be had for free. Don't be a sucker.

#4 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

Joe.

Oh Joe. Sweet simple Joe. No, they do not cause conflicts because only Avira is an Antivirus program that monitors in real time. The other two are anti-spyware that do NOT monitor in real time and thus do not cause conflict. If you browse the forums yourself, you will find out that what I say is true. Also, be sure to know what you're talking about before accusing "techies like me" of screwing up computers.

sweet simple joe? you claim to be very clever (with a degree) and this may be true but someone that resorts to insult before explanation isnt worthy of a response other than this.
ill admit i may have been wrong about those programs, but i have had alot of technicians (commonly shortened to techies for speed, not to be derogative) put in conflicting anti-virus programs - so i was, udnerstandably, wary.

Joe.

Edited by fallendream, 21 January 2010 - 01:36 PM.

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

The "concoction" that you have listed, as long as it works for you, is just fine in my opinion. Yes, there are times where Safe Mode is either disabled of your end up with a BSOD and can only boot in Normal Mode.

Yes, there are ways around this but that is best left to the HJT Team and the Malware removal experts.

I would make one suggestion as fallendream has made. If the PC already has an antivirus on it, I would suggest using that and not installing another antivirus such as Avira along side of it. Having more than one Antivirus will "over-tax" the machine and also possibly lead to false-positives.

If you are in need of another antivirus, you can always use one of the online scanners such as Eset, BitDefender, or Kaspersky. Each is very good in their own respects. You may also want to look into Dr. Web. Great program for the machine that's badly infected.

I would recommend much more reading on your part of the logs in the HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum. You will learn alot but I would also caution you about using the techniques as some are very specialized.

If you are interested in learning all you can and "being all you can be" in the malware removal fight, you may want to have a look at the Malware Removal Training Program.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 BottlecapMatt

BottlecapMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:44 PM

Thanks Techextrems. I'm having difficulties signing up for the malware course as there are never any slots open.

As for you, fallendream, I responded to what I perceived as an insult with another insult. I am going to assume that initially you thought I was installing Avira when some other AV was already present. I do not do this and it is my fault for not specifying so I apologize to you. Thanks for your replies.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

1) Install and update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run a deep scan with the ethernet cable unplugged then reboot.

2) Install and update Superantispyware and run a deep scan with the ethernet cable unplugged then reboot.

3) Install and update Avira AntiVir and run a deep scan with the ethernet cable unplugged then reboot.

The above will work in many cases, but not all of them.
Random example - rootkits.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 BottlecapMatt

BottlecapMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

The above will work in many cases, but not all of them.
Random example - rootkits.

Right on. What is your recommendation for combating rootkits?

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

I'm not sure, if the board rules allow discussion about such tools, since in hands of un-trained person they may cause serious consequences.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 BottlecapMatt

BottlecapMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:56 PM

Well, some such as Ice Sword are hard-core and can cause damage but those such as F-Secure Black Light are easy and safe to use. I haven't tested any of them though. Have you?

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

Yes, I did as I'm involved in malware removal on some other forums, but....
...if you're interested in a subject, your best option is to go to one of free anti-malware schools: http://www.uniteagainstmalware.com/schools.php

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 BottlecapMatt

BottlecapMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

Dude you're awesome! Thanks!

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

You're very welcome :thumbsup:
Malware removal is a very rewarding type of skills. I mean mentally rewarding.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 BottlecapMatt

BottlecapMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

Yea not to mention financially too. Also socially. You can become very popular if you can fix viruses. :thumbsup:

#15 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

Whether or not you can fix malware, viruses, hardware, software, or pretty much anything with a computer, you become invaluable to someone somewhere.

The true test is whether you can do it for no more than "thanks" or the satisfaction of knowing you were able to fix it in the first place.

I think you'll find on here and other forums, just about everyone you run into or that helps you or anyone else for that matter are looking for nothing more than those two things.

Thanks
Satisfaction of knowing you fixed it, or should I say "helped" fix it.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users