Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Validating Identity?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:28 AM

Yesterday I reformatted a friends computer and reinstalled the OS and other software at my house. Everything was working fine when she picked it up, specifically the wireless. When she got it home she said she was getting this error message that her wireless wasn't working. The wireless keeps trying to "validating identity" and states it is missing a certificate.

She has Comcast and a Netgear wireless router. I have Verizon Fios and a Actiontec router. I took it back to my house and it didn't have any problems connecting to the wireless router. Any ideas?

OS- Windows XP SP3
Laptop- Compaq Presario V6000
Wireless Router- Netgear N 150 WNR1000v2
Cable Modem- Arris TM502G
Browser IE 8

Thanks.

Edited by Pandy, 21 January 2010 - 10:51 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications ~Pandy

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

Does she have wireless security setup at home?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

The router is set up with a WEP key. However, this isn't the problem. I brought her laptop and router to my house and it works fine. For some reason Comcast is the problem.

I tried to install the disc that came with the router, but it said something like the IP address wasn't static and I needed to imput the blah blah blah.

I did a search for this and maybe one of the fixes will work.

Edited by golfdude, 21 January 2010 - 02:25 PM.

Thanks,
Golfdude

Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

Has her setup ever worked?

With Comcast, they install it to one PC. The MAC address of that PC is used by Comcast to get your connection. Whatever PC was used when they installed Comcast needs to be connected to the router and the MAC address cloned to the router. I have Comcast so this is how I know this.

WEP is very easily cracked FYI. Upgrade to WPA2 ASAP.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

It worked fine before the infection and reformatting.

With Comcast, they install it to one PC. The MAC address of that PC is used by Comcast to get your connection. Whatever PC was used when they installed Comcast needs to be connected to the router

This is the same pc she had when she got Comcast.

MAC address cloned to the router

Not sure how to do this?

WEP is very easily cracked FYI. Upgrade to WPA2 ASAP

I have heard this. How can it be that easy to break the arbitrary numbers and letters? I would think it would be easier to just hack into most routers with User- admin and Password- password. No one ever seems to change these.....

Thanks,
Golfdude

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

With her laptop turned off have her connect it to the router via an Ethernet cable. On the back of the router, there is a reset button. It will be slightly inside the router housing so she'll need a paperclip to push it. Push and hold it for 10 seconds. She can then boot her laptop while the router does what its doing.

Here is the manual for her router so if you are doing this over the phone you can see what she is seeing. =)

Since I can't find the default IP address. Have her type ipconfig and hit Enter at a command prompt. And look at the default gateway. That is what she'll enter in the address bar of a browser. UN = admin PW = password. On the left click Basic Settings. In the manual goto page 1-7 to see the same screen. Dot beside No for "Require a logon" and then all the way at the bottom, put the dot beside "Use Computer MAC Address" click Apply. Unplug the power to the router then plug it back in. Once the router settles, open another browser window and see if she can surf. She should be able to. If yes unplug the Ethernet from the laptop and try to connect wireless. The router just had all settings wiped out, there is no security setup, you just did a fresh install of the drivers and it connects at your place. So there is no reason it shouldn't work. If it doesn't, uninstall the wireless card from Device manager and reboot. This will reinstall the known good drivers and will recreate her wireless connection, try again to connect wireless. If no joy, I'm at a loss.

A word about WEP vs WPA/WPA2:

Mainly it comes down to when/how you are authenticated.

WEP sends authentication with every packet sent. You get enough of them, use a program and it can put all the bits together to figure it out.

WPA/WPA2 only authenticates when you first connect. It does a 4 packet handshake to connect/authenticate and then that's it. You are encrypted. Now you can break WPA/WPA2 as well if you capture the handshake packets. But unlike WEP which is just a matter of having like 100,000 packets and the pass phrase can be reconstructed, WPA/WPA2 cracking is more of a dictionary brute force thing. You have lists of words with various wild cards thrown in. But it has to be a known word or some variant, @ = O, 1 = I things like that. But since WPA/WPA allows for spaces, I recommend a sentence. Very VERY hard to break that. Doesn't need to be long, but just make it random like: "The mouse juggles pineapples" something silly and random.

You could break into a router the way you described. But you'd have to know their ISP IP address, not the 192 etc address. But wireless, you have to get connected before you could get into the router.

#7 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

CaveDweller2,

Thanks for the help. I finally got the darn thing to work :thumbsup:

FYI- her router (Netgear) login was "routerlogin.net". Usually it is an IP address as you suggested. First time I ever used a login like that.

I never noticed the MAC address check boxes at the bottom of the page until you mentioned it. I did what you said, and change the address to the computer address. It didn't work. I then changed it to the router address. Still didn't work. I then changed it back to the Default Gateway, reset the Cable Modem, and hit the test button. Bingo!!!!

Anyway, I really appreciate the help you gave me.

Just wondering who the other CaveDweller is :flowers:

Thanks,
Golfdude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users