Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files outlined in blue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trenos2

trenos2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

Hello, everyone,
My name is matt and i am posting this because i have a simple question. First let me tell you about my setup. I own an acer aspire 5050 with an amd dual core processor rated at 1.6 ghz. I currently have xp pro sp3 loaded on the computer. I use avira antiviral aaw7 se anniversary, spyware doctor. I am currently running some scans now. I currently have no problems with bsod. My question i have is in my system folder, there are some files outlined in blue. I've come to believe that those are viruses. Is there any antivirus program that could clean those up if they are viruses? I plan to put a new harddrive in this laptop, but don't want to image it if there are viruses. If i can clean them out that would be fine.
thx,
Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

The default in XP...is that blue filenamess indicate compressed files.

http://www.winxptutor.com/filecolor.htm

I've personally never found this to be valuable knowledge (whether a file is compressed or not) but I suppose that it might be handy if someone is trying to repair a situation by using a compressed file which needs to be uncompressed in order to be useable.

Louis

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

My question i have is in my system folder, there are some files outlined in blue.

Are you referring to the Windows folder and its contents?
That was my first thought when I saw the word blue.

If you are, those is blue are hidden files and folders.
When you unhide these, the names appear in blue.

So my question: Do you have options set to show these hidden files?

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

Not so, QE.

Some files will appear in blue, whether or not you have 'show hidden files and folders' checked.

As Louis says, they are compressed files.

Edited by petewills , 21 January 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

I did notice the following in blue when I looked earlier: (with files hidden)

System 32/DRVSTORE

After doing a random check on various folders within Windows and System32, that is the only blue titled file I saw.

After setting to show hidden files and folders and unchecking both Hidden commands, naturally they all showed up.

I presented a valid point. It would be helpful to know IF the OP does or does not have them set to show up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users