Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect Virus!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kayto82

kayto82

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:13 AM

3 days ago my husband I and discovered our PC was infected with the Google Redirect Virus. After 2 days of struggling and attempting to rid our comp of this miserable virus (because, as many of you know, Norton Anti-Virus and McAfee both do nothing for it!), my husband downloaded Hitman. He ran the program, restarted the computer, and it seems to have worked...only I don't trust it. After all we had been through the 2 days prior I struggle to believe that running Hitman once has actually worked. This virus was awful - it disabled Norton, changed minor settings, and, naturally, made surfing the web a nightmare. My hubby, however, thinks that it did the trick. When we restarted the computer Firefox seemed to operate normally, albeit slowly, but I'm just too nervous to go to our bank website or any other personal accounts like that (until we at least invest in a Mac). The ironic thing is that the day before we were hit we bought an external hard drive and backed up our entire computer.
So my question is this: Can Hitman really rid a computer from the Google Redirect Virus in one go OR should I download and run ComboFix, with the help of some of you guys - if you'd be so kind - as an extra precaution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tigger8472

tigger8472

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hitman Pro and Combofix are currently the only tools to remove the latest variants of TDL3 rootkit infection. Dr.Web cures some older variants although they are going to release an update soon. Also Prevx is prepping their TDL3 removal. The big AV companies are nowhere close on their removal of this sophisticated rootkit as they all rely on old strategies and are too big to implement quick adjustments ... It are the little vendors that excel in this area.

Combofix is a tool for users under guidance by experts. whereas
Hitman Pro is made for the novice user.

More info about the TDL3 rootkit can be found here:
http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/press/tdl3...-virus-programs

Or some expert info here on how it manages to stay undetected by most AVs:
http://rootbiez.blogspot.com/2009/11/rootk...s-lets-put.html

#3 kayto82

kayto82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

So, do you feel my computer is actually rid of the virus, having run Hitman? You mention that ComboFix and Hitman are the only things out there that can remove it, but how can I be sure that it's really truly gone? I feel so violated after having viruses on my PC. Is there anything else that I should do to be sure the virus is indeed gone from my system, or can I trust that Hitman has completely taken care of the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users