Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked out of pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oopsadaisy

Oopsadaisy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:34 AM

Can someone please help?
A friend was having problems getting connected to the internet using Blueyonder broadband. She asked me to have a look. First thing I noticed was she had no Antivirus. It looks as if she's been online about 12 month with no protection at all.
I downloaded AVG. Put it on disk and installed it on her pc. It detected a virus instantly. But then the pc shut down. Each time I tried to log back in it kept telling me it was saving my settings. So I couldn't get back in. I booted up in safe mode and managed to run AVG. It dectected 63 infected files. (Viruses and trojans. )
But now I can't get back on the pc because I can't get past log on :thumbsup:
What's have I done?:flowers:

Please help!! :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 G-STYLE

G-STYLE

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:58 AM

I'm not quit sure what causes this i have seen it many times and it is easy to fix all you have to do is do a repair with the winxp disc and al will be fine.

G

#3 Oopsadaisy

Oopsadaisy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:24 AM

Erm hang on I'm no boffin. :thumbsup: Would that be the blue and white disk with Windows 2000 xp written on it? :)It's just that she's got a black and white one with Mac witten on it too. Do I stick it in as it's booting up? Eeh I'm really worried:( Will it run automatically. Because as I said I can't get past log on.

I'm really sorry to bother you all but I'm in a bit of a panic :flowers:
Thank you very much for all your help btw. I really do appreciate it:)

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:50 AM

Hi Oopsadaisy

Would that be the blue and white disk with Windows 2000 xp written on it? :)It's just that she's got a black and white one with Mac witten on it too.

Windows 2000 Xp should not be on the disk. It should be one or the other. What else does it say on the disk? Does it say Recovery Disk? Is there a manufacturers name on the disk that matches the name on the computer?

What make of computer does your friend have? Make and Model number will help. Is it a PC or a Mac?

Can you still boot into Safe Mode?

Be careful what you do with these disks. You could lose all the personal data quite easily.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 indiandan

indiandan

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:43 PM

if all else fail put hard drive on another computer as secondary drive save the file she want to keep.then put drive back in her computer do fresh install of windows,then put her file back on computer.
Dan Hollingsworth
A+ certified
Mircosoft certified professional

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users