Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook causing other PC's to have extremely slow internet on telstra WIFI

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Felice

Felice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:36 AM

So just recently a member of my family purchased a new Macbook running the latest snow leopard OS. After succesfully connecting to our SBG900 motorola modem on Telstra Cable Extreme WIFI and working fine we have noticed that whenever it is connected the other 4 computers in the house (all wireless) plummet in bandwith speed. From usually pinging 200 MS to an american site i am now receiving upwards of 1500 MS when the macbook is connected to the internet, after numerous tests to insure it was the macbook and also checking whether it was due to having to many computers on the wifi (it's not, i shut them all off except mine and the macbook) we still have the same problem, ive spent over 3 hrs trolling google with every possible word combo i can think of and no luck so far, help please! <3

Thanks heaps in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kballweg

kballweg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Not sure but it sounds like the MacBook airport card is running at b or g speed, and the router is slowing down to accommodate it. This used to be true of the old Apple Airport routers; they would run at the speed of the slowest card accessing them, so even if you pro was running 802.11 N protocols, if another computer on the network was running 802.11 B everything would throttle back to B speeds.

Don't know how to check the specs on your router. Is Telstra the wifi router or the service provider?

On the Macbook you can check to see the modes available to the airport card by going to the Apple menu, clicking on "About this Mac", then "More info", then look in the column list for "Airport". Click on that and it will show you both the mode for the airport card (the Macbook) and the network mode or PHY. If either is running at less than N or G, that will be the problem. Trouble is, I don't know what to tell you to fix if one or the other is running at B mode speeds. I believe airport cards are supposed to auto negotiate the fastest speed, and I don't know of a way for that to be manually reset.

If the Macbook is running at B or G speeds, try it on a different network and see if it does the same thing. Some wifi routers use a non-standard implementation of the N protocols which other wifi equipment may not be able to communicate with. If the MB connects to a different network at N speeds, then it could be incompatibility. If the Macbook can't get above B mode on any network, it may be a faulty airport card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users