Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro sp2 internet works for a while, then stops...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 davidgsmit

davidgsmit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:53 AM

Hi there, I'll keep this as short as possible:

XP Pro sp2.
intel dual core
4gb
evga 7800
Azio awd102n pci wireless adapter
wireless keyboard and mouse (MS)
Norton anti virus

Problem: The computer will hang on the Standby screen, and now it will also hang on the shutdown screen too. It doesn't always do this, but more often that not, it will. At first it seemed to be only with my wife's user acct, but now it's both user accounts.
Aside from the standby and shutdown issues, my wife was online the other day, and all of a sudden the internet stopped working. The wireless icon in the corner disappeared. I went into the control panel to fix it and found that the wireless was disabled. When I tried to enable it, I got "Connection Failed!" in a small window.
Restarted the computer, and now the connection works, but the internet will only work for about 1-2 minutes at best before it just stops working, but this time it's not disabling the connection... it just looks like my internet is down. Doesn't matter if I'm using IE or Firefox, I get the same thing. I noticed right before all these internet troubles started that the internet was running very slow on this computer whereas my other computer were fine.

What's interesting is that the computer will go to standby or shut down just fine if it's only on for a minute. As soon as you use it for a little while, these problems all start to arise.

I cleaned the registry. Uninstalled most unneeded programs and checked MSconfig for any odd startups. I'm down to only the key items starting up.
No new software was installed when these problems started.
Tried to uninstall the wireless driver, but it just locks up on the uninstall. Also tried to uninstall Ralink wireless manager, but it also locks up during uninstall.

I tried to restore the computer to three different points. None work. Not surprised... can't remember the last time Windows restore has ever worked on any of my computers!

I really can't figure it out. I'm wondering if maybe my wireless keyboard and mouse have something to do with the standby issue? I don't recall there being any problem for the first few weeks of using the keyboard or mouse, so I doubt it.
It seems that these problems all start up around the same time... after the computer has been running for a couple of minutes.

I'd be impressed if anyone can figure this one out. I will try messing with the anti-virus and firewall. Otherwise I'm out of ideas... I can't think of what's changed since it was working fine.

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

P.S. has anybody given up on Windows in favor of a Mac OS??? I'm really considering. Seems like there's ALWAYS something wrong with one of my pc's... either the network, or the restore, or the printers, or something!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davidgsmit

davidgsmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Nobody?

Edited by davidgsmit, 21 January 2010 - 11:34 AM.

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

use an ethernet cable and see if it works.

If so, the wireless adapter is probably the problem. Try a usb key wireless adapter. They are pretty cheap and useful for troubleshooting. Remove the pci wireless adapter and test again. If shut down problem persist you might have other unrelated issues.

While hooked to the ethernet, make sure your up to date on all win updates, virus/malware scanners and mfg drivers.

If you know the mainboard model include that.

Wireless keyboards and mice don't usually have any effect on wireless 802.x adapters.

The shutdown hang usually indicates other problems sometimes related to the drive or registry. A bad card of any type might also trigger it.

#4 davidgsmit

davidgsmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Ken.

I happen to have a USB wireless adapter for my laptop because Windows started screwing with that computer's wireless to where it wasn't usable anymore!
I will try it on the desktop to see what happens.

It IS possible that a card is bad on the desktop... I just found out that the ground is not hooked up on the outlet and the computer is suffering from static build. My landlord is in the process of fixing this (or so he says).

Computer is totally up to date.

I will get the mobo model too.

Thanks.

#5 davidgsmit

davidgsmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:26 AM

Well I'll be darned... it turned out to be the wireless pci card.

Internet works fine on my wireless usb adapter. Computer went right to standby too.

Not sure if the pci card is bad or if the drivers got messed up, but I don't plan on finding out... I'll just pick up another Buffalo USB adapter. I've had great luck with mine.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users