Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 handisnack

handisnack

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:23 AM

The other day my friend told me his computer wasn't starting. I figured it was just the PSU, so I took the one from my computer and brought it over to his house, opened up the case, and saw that the motherboard LED was on (thus eliminating the two prime suspects).

So, the problem is, when I turn on the computer, nothing happens--no fans come on, no lights, no nothing. Sorry I can't get the specs (not my computer), I only know it's a Windows XP made about 8 years ago.

This is my first post so I might as well include an introduction:
HELLO

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:53 AM

Hi, it may be a bad switch. Over ride it.
MCP
MSDST

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

The fact that lights work on a system...is not necessarily an indication that the system is receiving sufficient power to boot and run the system.

Did you try your PSU in your friend's system?

Louis

#4 handisnack

handisnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, I tried my PSU and got the same result. I'll try some more things tomorrow, but in the meantime, any more suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users