Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The newbies linux

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:12 AM

I am a Linux newbie. I have Slackware 10.1 on a P-III 500mhz, and Red Hat 9.3 on a P-II 266 mhz. I have been trying to learn them for about a week with Slackware and 2 with Red Hat. I am not having a good time.

Until I found Puppy Linux. It is referred to as a live CD verison. It is 50 to 60 meg. You burn the ISO image to a CD or DVD and boot form that cd. In about a minute or two you are up and running. In a couple of more minutes you are on the net ( I use a cable modem ). It comes with Open Office Lite. A verison called Chubby Puppy has a few more features.
You will need at least a 200 mhz, and 128 mb of ram. You will also need 50 meg of hard drive with this amount of ram. If you have 256 mb of ram the whole program will boot into a Ram Drive that it will make when it boots. If you have a CD or DVD burner you can set it up to burn your data and preferences back onto the disk. And once booted you can still use the CD/DVD drive just remove the boot CD/DVD
This is a compete OS and programs suite in a 60 meg or less file. You can still make changes just like in the other Linux flavors, but if you make a mistake you just reboot and all is forgiven.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:34 PM

Damn Small Linux is another good one coming in at just under 50Mb.
It's a LiveCD also so no changes are made to yor current OS.
If you prefer a "full" system Knoppix can do that for you. It has a ton of software and runs totally
off the CD.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:59 PM

I like Knoppix.... i used that distro when my Windows xp crashed, and i used the boot disc with Knoppix on it to save a lot of my files before re-formatting.... It's pretty convenient if you want a taste of linux without the whole "dual-boot" fiasco

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 26 August 2005 - 02:00 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:41 PM

I will have to try them. I was very impressed with the easy of use. I see a lot of newbie, like myself, strugle with Linux.

#5 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:50 AM

i just started to use knoppix live cd..

it seem nice to me.. got lots of application inside..
gonna take u time to explore all.. hee..

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:58 AM

The way the mount without installing I am going to try most of them. I am very impressed. They are alot of fun.

#7 RockIV

RockIV

• Banned
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:51 AM

Um Can I please have direct downlaod link? my Internet connection keeps failing when I click on Hard Drive!

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users