Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp freezing shortly after login- started after malware removal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 funkfunkfunk

funkfunkfunk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

xp pro sp3
amd athlon 64 4000+ 2.41ghz
2gigs ram
gigabyte mobo

No problem for a long, long time when a couple days ago i get the malware defense funtimes with some bundled trojans. After some fiddling i ran housecall, malwarebytes, combofix and cc cleaner and was all clear but all of a sudden my computer would hang and then freeze moments after i login to windows in normal mode.

Runs fine in safemode UNLESS i try to run chkdsk /r at whichpoint it freezes when loading up after i restart after being prompted to in order for it tp get down to business. chkdsk /r also freezes if run from the repair console. In order to get safemode working again i need to run windows in normal mode, cancel the chkdsk when it attempts to start (or else it will freeze after a few moments of being in normal mode as per usual) then restart in safemode.

chkdsk will run in /p and recognizes some damaged sectors.

loading the easytune sofware that came with the mobo before it locks up in normal mode it tells me my system fan is not working, but that my cpu temp is only like 25 degrees C. To try to fix this I opened up my box and cleaned it all out: sure enough my system fan was nasty dusty but after cleaning it out it still tells me the same stuff.

Help a brother out.

thanks,
Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users