Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

post-cleanup, cannot access internet, restore mode suspended

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tom_rand

tom_rand

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

I cleaned an AVscan-infected Dell using MBAM. I was able to boot into safe mode, in which I ran both MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware and cleaned out the infection.

The problem is that now I cannot access the internet from this machine. Safari returns its standard page not found errors. I tried ping as well, and I cannot get a response to pings of sites. This happens in both safe mode and normal mode.

I went to the Control Panel - Networking and did a "Repair" on the wireless connection. No change in the result.

I checked on System Restore while I was there - and the restore is listed as being in "Suspend" mode although there is 66GB out of 100GB free on the hard disk.

I followed a link from another post here to something call win sock fix, but when I downloaded it Windows warned that the file contained something dangerous so I have not yet tried that over on the laptop in question.

How do I re-enable the system restore modes, and how do I repair the networking issue?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tom_rand

tom_rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

Found it.
They had added a proxy server flag, with no proxy address provided. In Safari, Tools - Preferences - Advanced - Change Settings - LAN settings - unclick Use a proxy.

Any ideas on the System Restore fix?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users