Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search engines not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 firemantcook

firemantcook

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

Hello. I am unable to use any search engines. I can get on the web fine through IE8 and click any link on the MSN home page or any of my favorites and go to that page, however when I try to do a search it comes up "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." It does the same thing in firefox. when i try to set my homepage to google it will not even come up and just times out. I am using XP Home with SP3. I have already been to the security forums and they said everything checked out, so they directed me to this forum. Any ideas on what is causing this?

HJT Topic:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1576092

Edited by garmanma, 20 January 2010 - 11:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

Open IE and take a look at your toolbars, etc. installed.

Tools/Manage Add-ons...look at Toolbars and Extensions. Disable all but thoes pertaining to Java.

Ditto for Search Providers, all except Google.

Louis

#3 firemantcook

firemantcook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

That's done and still nothing. When I try to search in Google it says "link appears to be broken."

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

Then...I can only suggest running the sfc /scannow command or a repair install of XP or IE. Since your problem extends beyond IE, repairing or reinstalling it may not be effective.

It would appear that key files are damaged, without any indication what key files might be involved.

Louis

#5 firemantcook

firemantcook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:04 PM

I have reloaded IE, and XP Home. I tried to do the scannow and it wants me to put in my XP Professional CD. I have never installed professional on this computer and am currently running home edition. Why would it be asking for a professional CD? After reinstalling XP and IE it still did not fix the search problem.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:12 PM

Hmm. I'd suggest informing your HJT helper of this. You shouldn't be getting a request for a professional XP disk if you have home. the fact that the redirections are still occurring is not good either.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users