Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete email in outlook 2007

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:42 PM

This is for Outlook 2007, installed on my wife's brand new laptop. It's a Dell Vostro 1320, plenty of RAM and a more than fast processor. It's running Windows 7 and has Office 2007 Enterprise installed. The install was working fine and the deleting was working okay (I believe so) upon initially installing. Today my wife pointed out that she cannot delete emails by using the delete key, CTRL+D or the X in the toolbar (which should be red but its grayed out). I tried repairing the PST file, to no avail, and tried an OST file repair but there is not a .ost file. It's not caching. I'm not sure if that's a cause for the problem or not. Also, worth mentioning, is that I imported 2 .pst files from her old laptop (Outlook 2007) so that her emails would be present in her inbox. The email is set up with IMAP so it needed to be done that way because old emails weren't pushing out from the server.

So what's wrong with the deleting?

Sorry for so much information, but I felt it was good to unload the details.

Thanks,
Eric

PS - I neglected to mention that if she opens an email and deletes from the toolbar there it works fine.

Edited by Eric RBA, 20 January 2010 - 08:53 PM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TekIT

TekIT

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

When using IMAP emails are not necessarily deleted, they are only marked for deletion until the server purges them.

When you select delete on an email does anything happen? You should see a line marked through it to note it has been marked for deletion.

#3 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

Hi Tek, and thanks for posting. I understand what you're referring to, as that was the manner in which emails were deleting on the old laptop with Outlook set up. However, there is no way to delete an email in Outlook now. If you read through what I wrote there it explains that the only way to delete messages is to open them one at a time and click on the delete button on the toolbar within the email. The other functions just don't work and that's what I'm hoping to fix.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users