Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home hangs after install, after first boot :(

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gshot

gshot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

Hi Guys,

My first post here, so thanks in advance. Im really stumped on this one.

I have an old (2004) Packard Bell Imedia 3043 PC

Model details and more here -
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/ind...6801&g=1400

Im trying to fix for a friend (Im a web designer by trade however family and friends seem to think that makes me a PC tech also!) and I have been searching for solutions to this for over a week.

The PC had a working version of Windows XP Home Premium installed, however it was full of possible spyware etc and had not be scanned for years. I was told to just reformat and install an new OS, just XP again. Easy I thought, not so.

No original discs supplied and could not get the PB recovery to start. I have several OEM Windows XP disks from Home Premium to Pro, so i used them and I get the same issue all the time.

The boot disc boots up, I proceed to install and it gets to the part where setup finalises the install and restarts, then its meant to configure the display and the final options etc... Not the case, it restarts at this last stage, the XP logo is displayed then the screen goes blank. Nothing, no repsonse, I left it for an hour one day. Hard drive seems to stop spinning after a few mins and it just sits there. Hard drive seems fine by the way, I have tested it with lots of different software.

I have tried about 8 installs. I have both formatted the hard drive with KILL DISK and Boot N Nuke (just incase some nasties or prev OS remained) or just let the install do the format for me.

On all occasions the setup proceeds as normal, right till the point after where I set the local settings etc and its very nearly complete, the machine restarts as planned, the XP logo and boot screen shows, then no more setup, no windows xp, just a blank screen?

I also thought perhaps the BIOS needed updating, but the update from the Packard Bell website is an exe file in the form of a boot disk creator and it hangs on every pc (vista or xp) I have tried it on also. So I cannot update the BIOS, but would this matter?

Tried SAFE MODE, will no load
Tried Recovery Console - FIXBOOT and FIXMBR all completes, but no effect.

Any help would be great, I do have good knowledge of PC systems and hardware and I really hope I can help someone out here in the future, but for now Im just at a deadend guys.....

Anyone? Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

Generally you cannot use an OEM disk to install XP on a machine that does not match the brand of the disk. The hardware drivers will not match up.

You need to try and get hold of a Microsoft XP CD rather than a OEM CD.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 gshot

gshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the reply, I should have made it clear on that issue. I have both OEM disks AND MS XP disks, both get the same result :thumbsup:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

You could try this:

Near the beginning of the XP install when you are prompted to press F6 to install third party drivers (or something like that) press F7 instead.

You won't get any visual confirmation but this will run Setup without Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) which appears not to work correctly with many BIOS versions.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 gshot

gshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

You could try this:

Near the beginning of the XP install when you are prompted to press F6 to install third party drivers (or something like that) press F7 instead.

You won't get any visual confirmation but this will run Setup without Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) which appears not to work correctly with many BIOS versions.

Ok, I will try that in the morning and let you know, thankls :thumbsup:

#6 gshot

gshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:12 AM

You could try this:

Im afraid the F7 key makes no difference, still hangs with blank screen at end of install, no error messages, nothing? The hard drive is fine and the PC HAD xp installed only a week ago also so I know the hardware is fine??

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Did you try pressing F11 when the Packard Bell logo appears during boot? This should take you to the Recovery Program.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 gshot

gshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:21 AM

Did you try pressing F11 when the Packard Bell logo appears during boot? This should take you to the Recovery Program.

Yes, it wont load, besides the hard drive has been formatted and there is no recovery partition....... :thumbsup:

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

I would run a diagnostic check on the drive to ensure there is not a problem there.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users