Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

please give me some procedures on how to format a hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rain05

rain05

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:06 PM

if i format a hard drive of my computer do all the files including the operating system are erased?
please give me some procedures on how to format a hard drive, if i have only 1 hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:11 PM

How To Reformat Your Computer With Windows Xp

Note: if you are actually using this guide to reformat, please use the Printer Friendly Version so you may print it out and use it.

Before You Reformat
1. If you want to save files, make sure you burn them onto a disk or copy them to a floppy.

2. Make sure that you have your Windows XP CD, your Windows XP Product key, any driver disks that came with your computer or other hardware you installed, and the disks for any programs you installed.

How To Reformat:

1. Place the Windows XP CD into your CD drive. Reboot your computer with the CD in the drive. Depending on your system either hit F8 or F2 to get to the boot menu.

2. You will be taken to the boot menu, once there hit the command that says boot from cd. After, Once the boot menu pops up hit boot from disk, Windows will take forever and a blue screen will popup and say loading windows files and all that stuff.

Once its finished there will be three options, one to repair windows, one to reinstall windows, and one to exit and go back to your regular computer operating stance. Hit the key that takes you to a clean windows install If your trying to remove a virus you need to completely reinstall windows, including delete the partitions. Running windows Xp repair will not get the virus off.

3. You will be asked if you wish to create a new partition. First, select the partition that you already have, and press D to delete your existing partition, and then L to confirm that you wish to do this. This will completely erase all documents and programs (and viruses!) off of your computer.

4. You then need to create a new partition. To do, this select C.

5. When asked what size you wish to make your new partition, just press Enter to make your partition the maximum size.

6. Select the partition that you have created to install Windows XP on by pressing Enter.
7. Your computer will prompt you asking if you wish to do a quick installation or a regular installation. Either will work fine, but "quick" goes faster.

8. Now you need to select Format the partition by using the NTFS file system.
9. Windows XP will now be installed. This may take some time and then your computer will reboot. From now on all the screens during the installation process will look like the Windows XP screens you are used to.

10. Make sure you properly enter your product key. This is either on the CD that came with your version of Windows XP or on your computer's case.

11. Make sure you select the "typical" network settings.

12. Windows will now complete the installation. XP will likely detect the drivers for all of your hardware, but you may need to use the disks that came with your hardware to install some of your hardware. You will now also need to install any software you need. Most importantly, RUN WINDOWS UPDATE IMMEDIATELY TO PROTECT YOUR COMPUTER!!! If your connection has been disabled, you will not be able to run windows update. However, you can download the patches from www.windowsupdate.com

I hope this guide helped you.

Edited by TEB, 25 August 2005 - 10:11 PM.

#3 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:20 PM

If you want to practice without damaging your drive you can download this
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users