Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way to get rid of the way Windows 7 keeps a unique color on each Taskbar item you hover the mouse over?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

Is there a way to get rid of the way Windows 7 keeps a unique color on each Taskbar item you hover the mouse over? (i.e., Firefox's tab is orange, the color being based on the icon's colors) It's a feature I don't want. I could be using Firefox, for example, but the last item my mouse happened to hover over was an AIM IM window, and suddenly it looks like that tab requires my attention. If the unique colors must exist, is there a way to at least cause it to be that only the currently active window is what gets the color, and no other tab can steal it with a mouse hover? The problem is the color remains even when the mouse has gone off the tab *and* the tab isn't the active one.

For example, is there a way to cause Window 7's tabs to act as they did in Windows XP (or Vista, if it wasn't like Window 7's, because I don't know)? Only the currently-active tab looks any different than any other, and preferably the same toned-down color each time, not some bright yellow (like AIM) or orange (Firefox), because, as Windows XP veterans know, a bright orange refers to a program requesting your attention. I tried to get used to these unwanted features, and I never did, I simply get annoyed at having to hover the mouse over tabs until it lands on one that has an undistracting soft blue, like a Microsoft Word document's tab.

Another problem, completely unrelated, is that, for whatever reason, my Windows 7 Desktop Slideshow, set to Shuffle every 5 minutes, suddenly stopped working today, as the same image has been there for hours.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

you can make the taskbar look like windows classic but i dont have my windows 7 machine right know so i dont know how to do this off the top of my head
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

When you say "unique color", Windows just give the icons the same icons that the program has if you look in its Program Files. Firefox looks like Firefox, AIM looks like AIM (apparently yellow, I don't use it to know), Windows Explorer looks like a folder, command prompt is black, etc....whatever program is there, that is the icon used. Firefox just happens to be orange. Windows didn't assign it. That's just the color Firefox is.

If you want things to look the way they did back in Vista/XP (rectangular, instead of square icons), right-click your "Taskbar", then click "Properties". On the "Taskbar" tab, drop down the menu "Taskbar buttons". Change it to "Never combine". Apply > OK

Now things will look like they did way back when.

As for the background slideshow, did you happen to unplug from the power cord right before it stopped working? By default (unless you change it), Windows will not go to the next background while on battery power (to conserve energy). You can force it to change by editing your Power Plan's "Advanced Options" > Desktop Background settings > Slide show > make both settings ("On battery" and "Plugged in") "Available".

Did that solve/answer your problems? If not, just let me know, and I'll will be more than happy to help you out again. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users