Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'no driver installed..'

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 robintot108

robintot108

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:55 PM

alright, I formatted my computer about a week ago, and I believe I did everything correctly, except the graphics are funny. Super, super slo-mo, and when I looked, I found that there was a big, yellow '?' next to 'video controller.' I guess this means my graphics card? I kind of assumed it did, and when I clicked on it, it said that no drivers were installed for it.
If this IS my video card (i can't think what else it could be, but then again I'm not sure I would be the best person for that job), I'm in a little bit of a spot, because I'm not sure where the software for it is...heh heh.....

So, lacking what might have fixed everything, I went to the PNY website and tried to download the driver. All seemed to be going well, except about a minute into installation, my screen went black with a blinking prompt. No text, no explanation or error message, just a quick whirr like an engine dying, and now, because things just keep getting better, it won't even restart. There isn't even a prompt anymore. Just a blank screen, and my own horrified reflection.

If somebody could please maybe just tell me how to get back to the old, sluggish desktop, then I would be so, so happy..I would just haul the thing in somewhere, only my trepidation about letting somebody I don't know just grope my computer is greater than my shock that I could have done something so terrible to it myself.

Thanks so much!!
Robin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grumpdaddy1

Grumpdaddy1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

Can you get into SAFE mode? If so, unistall all graphics adapters (video controllers) but do not restart. Now install the drivers for your device. Restart the machine.

Do you have an entry in device manager (2nd or 3rd down) labeled Graphics Adapter? If so, that may mean you have graphics on the Motherboard. You need to disable the on board graphics by unistalling that adpater (right click on the "monitor" thing and select UNISTALL. OK everything. restart and go into BIOS settings (DEL or F1). Disable on board graphics. Since I don't know which BIOS you have, I can't help you with that one. Save settings and allow system to start.

If you don't have graphics on the board, then you may have a conflict somewhare. Try resetting BIOS settings to DEFAULT. You can also move the card to a different PCI slot, preferbly SLOT 1. Let us know what happens. I know certain nVidia drivers have caused problems and you can Yahoo! your problem and find these forums or go to nVidia (I mention nVidia because they make the chipsets for most of PNYs graphics cards.)

Soundblaster also tends to interfere with other stuff. If you have a Soundblaster audio card, put it in SLOT 1 and move yoyr graphivs card to SLOT2. Creative has a lot of info on how to resolve conflicts with their Soundblaster products.

-Grump
"Ignorance begins the day you think you know it all"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users