Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying Installation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zen00

Zen00

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:06 PM

Background: I just recently upgraded to Windows XP Professional.

Now the problem is, for some reason, whenever I start up my computer now, I get an installation box that comes up, saying that it's getting PhotoGallery or something like that, I can't remeber at the moment, but it's PhotoSomething or other, ready for installation. When I let it boot up, it asks me to specify a drive path for the location of the installation files, since I don't know what this program is, something I installed a while back but is not compatible with XP I think, I have to hit cancel. This pop up will appear two more times before it will quit. I can live with this, except for that it keeps popping up everytime I play a video or any other animation on my computer, including in-game animations. (When I'm playing a game that has movie files in it, such as Warcraft III) Does anyone know how to stop the bloody thing from asking me to install it?
This space will eventually have something very cool to fill it up, but not right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:12 PM

click start
click run
in the box type msconfig

click the startup tab
uncheck photosmart/photosomething
click apply/ok
restart your computer

This should fix it.

#3 Grumpdaddy1

Grumpdaddy1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:17 PM

Sounds like that Kodak photosmart prog that you usually get from Wal*mart when they make you a photo CD. It usually comes bundled with some PCs.

-Grump
"Ignorance begins the day you think you know it all"

#4 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:09 AM

I checked again, and the installation is for PhotoGallery. I looked in the startup area like you suggested, but there was nothing there that said PhotoGallery, maybe it's listed as something else, because when I start in safe mode, it dosn't come up.
This space will eventually have something very cool to fill it up, but not right now.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:58 AM

Starting in Safe mode means that Windows only launches the programme modules that are absolutely essential for it's operation; this explains why the photo application does not show up.
You might just let the app install completely, then remove it from the add/delete function in the control panel. If you know the manufacturer, you might try checking its site for FAQ or troubleshooting information.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 27 August 2005 - 11:29 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:38 PM

The problem with that is that it can't find the installation files on my computer, so they're on a disk somewhere, so unless I find the right disc, then it won't install.

#7 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:51 PM

Okay, I think I've figured out the problem, but I don't know how to fix it.

I think when I was deleting virus files on my computer, I accidently deleted a valid registry file. When I did a search of my computer for the file name Photogallery, it appeared in a backup of my registry I did before beginning my virus removal. I'm wondering, can I double click the registry backup I made, and extract the registry from it and put it back on my registry I got now?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:23 PM

If you double cick on the reg file backup, it is going ot completely replace the one you have now. (Assuming it is a .reg file). If it is, you can open the registry, pull the key out, and make a custom .reg file to replace the key.. it isn't too terribly difficult. If you need help, I can direct you to some resources that will explain how to do it, or if you are able to find the entire key, I (or someone else) can help you create the .reg file.

#9 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:16 AM

It's a .reg file, I'd like all the help I can get, I don't want to revisit the ol virus on my computer.

#10 barryabba

barryabba

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:29 AM

there is a program called "windows install clean up", that may help you, find it here..." [url="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301""]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...us;290301"[/url]
hope it helps, i have found it to be handy on several occasions.

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:13 AM

You are going to need to search inside that reg file for the relevant key. It will open in almost any text editor (except notepad..it's too big). See if you can open it in word, and then search for the key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users