Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP drive ate my Win 7 boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FrankenPengie

FrankenPengie

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:56 PM

So I was working on an email box for an elder and the mainboard was bad so I hooked her up with a new cheapie. Being as she'd like her files I put her drive in the removable bay on my machine to burn her data. Upon boot it booted to her drive saying "This copy of Windows needs to be Activated...". So I cancel out of all that and reboot, checking the BIOS settings. Boot sequence was correct so I tried again and it booted to my Win 7, but it said that it needed to be rebooted to apply the changes. ?!?!?!? "Uh oh", me thinks. I copy her stuff into a folder before pulling the drive and rebooting to see what happened. No bootmbr found! The system repair doesn't work, bootrec doesn't work... Most of the time it doesn't even see that Windows is on there. I can't get a BCD rebuild if it doesn't see the OS.

WTF happened?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

Have you seen How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows?

Best 30 bucks I ever spent;
Ultra USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable for 2.5-Inch/ 3.5-Inch / 5.25-Inch Drive with Power Adapter

No more slaving drives to my computer, shows up as removable drive.

Edited by ratchet48, 27 January 2010 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users