Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash on wake-up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pnph

pnph

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

My machine crashes and reboots on wake-up (mostly when i have programmes running, last time was itunes and firefox) and sometimes when i'm working, according to windows it's BSOD but only once has the screen actually gone blue mostly part of the top of the screen goes red with white bits before the machine reboots. I'm running XP SP3 with AVG free which can't find any viruses. Thanks in advance

Edited by pnph, 20 January 2010 - 03:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

System crashes occur for any number of reasons.

Unless you have a specific reason for thinking that your system is infected...I suggest that you edit your original post and remove the HJT data, which is only relevant in one of our malware forums.

I also suggest that you Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/. This will assist in getting more data re whatever is causing your BSOD/system problems.

The content of error messages is important, it may contain clues as to what may be the problem. To attempt to troubleshoot such errors...the content (at least, the first sentence or two) needs to be reviewed.

IIRC, various problems relating to hibernation/standby...involve damaged video drivers. The attempted fix would involve uninstalling the current drivers first...then reinstalling same or updating.

Louis

It would be wise to update to IE8, many websites no longer support use of IE6 (since it is less secure than IE8).

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#3 pnph

pnph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

reinstalled the drivers like you suggested and for now at east it's working fine although i'm not sure why since I'd already tried but i'm not complaining. Thanks a lot for your help XD

Patrick

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

Keep an eye on it for awhile, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 pnph

pnph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

It's back again :thumbsup: i've got the windows error signature:

BCCode : 40000080 BCP1 : 898583D8 BCP2 : 88E5F058 BCP3 : 805512E8
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

and the names of the files in the error report:

C:\DOCUME~1\Patrick\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb251.dir00\Mini012210-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Patrick\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb251.dir00\sysdata.xml

let me know if anything else is needed from the error report,
Thanks again,
Patrick

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

Bug checks (or STOP errors) all have codes, designed to indicate what the problem might be.

www.aumha.org is what I consider the best general reference on STOP errors. From there:

"0x00000080: NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE
This general indication of a hardware failure is often quite difficult to pin down. Follow usual hardware troubleshooting protocols, in particular: Roll-back any recent hardware or driver changes; ensure that RAM sticks are matched and undamaged; check for viruses or hard drive damage; run ChkDsk to identify file system problems; ensure that all connections are sound inside the computer and all cards well-seated. In tough cases you may need to consult a professional shop for hardware diagnosis and repair."

But...you should have a .dmp file from that error and that may provide more clues.

Do a search of your system (using the Start/Search function) and insert *.dmp as the search string/phrase. This should yield all .dmp files.

Then, try to follow the instruction at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/, posting the results.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users