Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF Viewers X-Change Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

Thanks to Bleeping Computer, I've been the PDF X-Change free version. However, I recently found that there were many features that were only available in the Pro version that I would find handy. For $34.50 USD I can get the pro version. Here's my question: is this the best program of it's kind for the buck? I know that the full fledged Adobe Acrobat program is expensive ($299 up) so this one seems like quite a bargain in comparison. But will it give me what I need?

My version of Word allows me to save documents in pdf form, so I think that perhaps I don't need PDF-XChange Lite, Standard or PRO, which starts at $24 for the Lite version & goes up from there to $74 for the Pro. :thumbsup:

Well, blondeness is setting in, so help!

Thanks,

=SubMariner=

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

Well, that all depends on what it is you need to be able to do. For example, if all you need to do is to create PDF documents from your word processor, then you're fine where you are. If, however, you need to be able to edit existing PDF's or add scripting, etc. then you'll need something more. Googling around, I can't find anything cheaper than PDF X-Change (that is, $34.50.) I've never used it, so I can't vouch for its quality, so it's the bargain basement approach: caveat emptor.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

You could use the comparison chart to see what features you must have: http://files.docu-track.com/FeatureChartEU.pdf

Then there is the try before you buy policy if you do upgrade. That way you get what you really need at a reasonable price.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

You could use the comparison chart to see what features you must have: http://files.docu-track.com/FeatureChartEU.pdf

Then there is the try before you buy policy if you do upgrade. That way you get what you really need at a reasonable price.

In the end...

I tested out a couple of the PDF-Xchange programs, ultimately buying the PDF-XChange 4 Pro for $74.00 US. It's literally hundreds of dollars cheaper than any comparable program, esp Adobe Acrobat.

I have used it several times over the past week & it's great. I would recommend it to anyone who works with or wants to create/edit pdf files.

JMHO,
[

=SubMariner=

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience with the application and decision. Glad to know it was a positive one. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users