Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bako-Dan

Bako-Dan

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

After switching from a Netgear wireless router to a Linksys WRT120N router, I cannot connect wirelessly to one of my laptops. I can connect to the other, newer laptops we have in the house, and to the kid's Xbox 360, but not to the older Dell Latitude D600. The D600 has an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG wireless network card. I had no issues connecting to my old Netgear router. Now, the computer simply won't connect to the wireless network - it never attempts to acquire an IP address. When I go to a DOS prompt and type in ipconfig /all it says media disconnected. I've tried the repair command in Windows wireless network connection control (many times), but it still cannot connect.

I took this computer to work and was able to connect to the wireless G network there (although it took quite a while to acquire an IP address).

Where do I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

Can you hook the laptop to the router via an Ethernet cable? I am betting its set to just N and not Auto or Mixed or whatever. So you'll need to surf into the router, look at the basic wireless settings and look at what Mode its in. There should be a setting for Mixed mode, so B/G and N can connect. How to do that should be in the instructions that came with the router.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Bako-Dan

Bako-Dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

The router is set for N, G, & B. The other items I have mentioned (2 laptops, XBox360, & HP 6500 wireless printer) are all connected wirelessly via G.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

Well that shot that theory to hell huh? lol Never that easy.

Do you use Windows or the wireless software to connect?

What about security? WEP? WPA/WPA2?

I would get new drivers for the wireless. Remove it from device manager and uninstall any programs for it in Add/Remove. Reboot and install the drivers and software if you want.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Bako-Dan

Bako-Dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

I'm using Windows to connect. I also tried managing Wi-Fi through the Intel PROSet/Wireless software, but it also wouldn't connect.

I originally set the router security to WPA2, but I reset it to WPA when I couldn't connect the laptop in question.

I downloaded the latest driver from the Intel website and saved it to my desktop. When you say "remove it from device manager" are you indicating that I "uninstall" the device (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG) or just perform an "update driver" command?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

uninstall

I don't know if it will fix the issue, but its the first thing I do when I run into an issue with my wireless.

your problem still has me baffled. I am shooting in the dark.

Try it without any security. Which I am sure you have.

#7 Bako-Dan

Bako-Dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

I used device manager to uninstall the wireless network card - rebooted - and installed the new driver. It still will not connect. I have not tried turning off the router security and trying to connect. I'll try that this weekend.

I brought home another old D600 laptop (same wireless card) from work yesterday to see if it would connect. I couldn't get that computer to connect either. Just as before, that computer connects just fine with the wireless G network at work.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

What service pack do you have on either laptop that won't connect?

And you are using the built in wireless card?

#9 Bako-Dan

Bako-Dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

Both computers have Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I'm using the built-in wireless card (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG)

#10 Bako-Dan

Bako-Dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

Went looking on the Linksys website specifically for problems with the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and the WRT120N router. Turns out there's been a ton of problems. In the forums, a user was able to solve the problem by updating the firmware for the WRT120N from version 1.0.0.1 to version 1.0.0.4. I'll try that next. Click here if you want to read the forum topic on the Linksys website.

#11 Bako-Dan

Bako-Dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Upgraded the firmware and the PRO/Wireless 2200BG connected instantly. Thanks for trying to help! I should have started by browsing the Linksys website first. Linksys didn't do a very good job communicating this issue (in my opinion). In fact, it was the customer-only forum on their website that identified the problem and, eventually, the solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users