Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Striped RAID Array in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TuckTheBrave

TuckTheBrave

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

Hi. I have a Dell XPS with two 320GB hard drives. I had XP on it, but today, I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro - because I was starting from XP, I had to do a clean install of XP before setting up Windows 7. In the old setup, I had a Striped Array and I was backing up essential files to an external hard drive. I set up a partition on each of the drives, but when I go into the BIOS and switch the two drives to "RAID ON", Windows 7 won't boot up. Only after going back into the BIOS and switching the drives back to the "ON" positions, does Windows 7 boot up. When I go into my computer, it shows Local Disk Drives C: (which is the one it is working on) and D: (with no information). Do I even have a Mirrored Array set up right now? or am i just working off of one hard drive? Any advice? I don't want to start loading in software if I need to go back and reinstall OS. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanrB

DanrB

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

Do I even have a Mirrored Array set up right now?

No you do not, you must create the array first and then partition, format and install windows on it.

#3 TuckTheBrave

TuckTheBrave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the response. So I started up Windows 7 on the one drive that was working. Now I have the second drive working (It wasn't being recognized and i would not format it, or set up any partitions on it). So everything I've installed at this point - Windows 7 OS, peripheries, etc., is on the one Hard Drive and the second on is formatted, but nothing is on it. It is a 320GB hard drive.

In order to set up a mirrored or Striped array, do I have to uninstall everything and go through the reinstall process? Or is there a way to share between drives at this point? Maybe some GUI way within Windows?

My bet is that I have to uninstall, then format, partition and start again. But Here's hopin'. :huh:

Thanks

#4 DanrB

DanrB

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Basically....well.....yea...., you're going to have to start over. Well you could create a image and go that way but if you haven't done it before and or do not have the software...

Starting over, enable Raid in the bios and then reboot and enter the Raid utility, select the type of raid array you want to create and the drives you want to use to create it. Tends to be self explanatory but refer to the user manual for your board if you need a little guidance doing so.

Once you have done that exit and saving the changes. Now reboot and enter the bios again, set your dvd drive as first boot device and the hard drive (raid array) as the second from the list.

Now start the computer with the Win 7 dvd in the drawer, pick custom install and then set your partition size or sizes depending on how many you normally use, then format em. Continue setup as you normally would from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users