Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop : 0x0000007B (0xf78e2524, 0xc0000034, 0x0-, 0x0-)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jtoddhoward

jtoddhoward

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:07 AM

Good Morning!

Im having a serious problem with my computer. Last Friday a message popped upon my computer screen explaining I had been infected with a virus. I shutdown my internet connection and started running AVG and at some point my computer rebooted (I was away from the computer when this happened). After the reboot, another message explained my "Security Center" was disable. I tried to open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt+ Del) in hopes of identifying an erroneous program running. Yet another message popped up telling my I wasnt the administrator and couldnt access the Task Manger. Tried to shutdown the computer via the start menu with no luck and had to turn the power off. Finally after the machine rebooted I got the above referenced BSOD error.

At this point my main concern was transferring my work files over to my mobile harddrive. First I worked with Knoppix, but kept receiving the error message "Unmountable_Access_Drive". Next I tried to run XP Recovery but as soon as the screen said "Starting Setup" I received the same BSOD error as before. This lead me to try "Mini XP" off of Windows Ultimate Boot Cd where I was able to run a basic scan disk. Rebooted to try to get back to the installed version of XP but once again received the BSOD message. Back to "Mini XP" I was able to access the harddrive and recover my files.

From here, I felt like I should format the harddrive and a clean install of Windows XP. Of course, everytime I put the XP installation disk in and tried to get to the point to install I would get the same BSOD error as before. Finally, I was able to use the UBCD to utilize the HD Wipe Clean program to format the harddrive. The process took several hours to finalize and when I boot into Mini XP it shows the hd to be empty, so I feel pretty good the hd was formatted. Regardless of what I do I always get the same BSOD error.

Can anyone help me with this problem? All I want to do is reinstall XP!

Thanks,
Todd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

If you received Unmountable Boot Volume errors...on a drive that has been wiped clean...that should be a pretty clear indication (IMO) that you need to run a hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive. If a long and short test are part of the diagnostic...the long test is the choice to make.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

And...if you are using Dell CDs to attempt this install, you need to follow the Dell procedures for use of such CDs.

Louis

#3 jtoddhoward

jtoddhoward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

The only time I received "Unmountable Boot Volume" was in Knoppix. I have not tried to access the hd through Knoppix since I wiped the Hd.

Yesterday, I d/l the HD utility for my Harddrive, which is a Samsung 250 Gb (SP2504C). Took the iso file, added to a cd and loaded into the cd drive. Here is the dialog I receive:

Loading Free Dos...
ROOT FAT KERNAL GO!
123 - InitDisk
Dos Called With HIGH
UMB's Unavailable!
- (Flashing Cursor)

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the reply.
Todd

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

My mistake...I should have indicated that you cannot just take the .iso file and burn it like a regular CD. You need to employ a program designed to do this.

You are using the Hutil utility, correct? http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd...port_HUTIL.html

Various example, using various programs at How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm.

FWIW, I use Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm.

That should produce a bootable CD that works properly for the diagnosis.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2010 - 09:58 AM.

#5 jtoddhoward

jtoddhoward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

LOL... I used ActiveISO to burn the Hutil Utility and it tries to boot up but I get the following dialog:

Loading Free Dos...
ROOT FAT KERNAL GO!
123 - InitDisk
Dos Called With HIGH
UMB's Unavailable!
- (Flashing Cursor)

The flashing cursor is as far as it goes.

Thanks,
Todd

#6 jtoddhoward

jtoddhoward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

I cannot tell you anything in response to that...never happened to me and I've had/used Samsung hard drives (and hutil) without problems.

If there is a floppy version of hutil available (there is), I suggest you try it.

Louis

#8 jtoddhoward

jtoddhoward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

Does it matter if the harddrive is an SATA?

As for a floppy drive, I cant find any IDE connection coming from my motherboard. Trying to research and see if the computer has the option or if I need to purchase a Floppy USB.

Thanks for the help

#9 jtoddhoward

jtoddhoward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

New scenario.

I removed my Samsung 250 GB and replaced with a SATA Western Digital 80 GB, containing a fully functional version of XP. Upon starting up into XP I receive a similar BSOD

"Stop: 0x0000007B (0xf7a5f524, 0x0000034, 0x0-, 0x0-)"

Could this be a problem with my Bios or memory?

Todd

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

Well...you cannot take a hard drive from System 1...insert it into System 2 as a boot drive...and expect it to work properly.

A hard drive with an O/S installed...reflects the drivers and settings for the motherboard of the system where the O/S install was accomplished. These will normally not match the drivers/settings of a different system, unless they are identical in hardware.

Sooo...getting a STOP error in that instance would be what I would expect. From http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm:

"0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus."

More info on such, Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#11 jtoddhoward

jtoddhoward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

I get what you are saying Hamluis, so ive decided to try something different.

I put the original HD (Samsung 250gb) back in the machine. I d/l a copy of Hiren's Boot Cd Version 10.1, which has 3 separate programs for Samsung harddrives:

Samsung HDD Utility(HUTIL) 2.10
Samsung Disk Diagnose (SHDIAG) 1.28
Samsung The Drive Diagnostic Utility (ESTOOL) 3.00g

When I open up HUTIL and it trys to detect the harddrive, nothing is found. This also applies to the SHDIAG. However, when I execute ESTOOL it finds my harddrive. Several options are available and I select "Drive Diagnostics" which takes approximately 4 hours to complete. Upon completion a display screen tells me "No errors Where Found on The Harddrive". Would you happen to know a reason why HUTIL & SHDIAG wouldnt recognize my hd but ESTOOL will?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

I have no answer for that, I've never even seen this utility before today.

And...there's something wrong with navigation at the Samsung website.

But it looks like a new utility, created late Aug 2009, with use of hutil.exe being relegated to external Samsung drives.

In any case, it appears that the hard drive has a clean bill of health.

Louis

#13 jtoddhoward

jtoddhoward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:32 AM

Louis,

Changed some settings in Bios (boot sequence - Cd first, and Auto Detect SATA) and im now installing windows XP. Thanks for the help, its much appreciated!

Todd

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

Feedback appreciated, glad you resolved it.

System manufacturer and model?

Not sure why a BIOS setting for SATA auto-detect would have changed or be involved...I have to guess that this is a version of IDE-emulation/simulation allowing XP to be installed without worrying about SATA drivers.

If you provide some info on the system and manufacturer, it would probably be useful to owners/users of such who may encounter similar situations.

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#15 jtoddhoward

jtoddhoward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

Here is my current system configuration including all hardware:

System Type: XPS/Dimension 410/9200
Ship Date: 9/11/2006
Dell IBU: Americas
Quantity Parts # Part Description
1 CJ339 Mouse, Universal Serial Bus 2BTN, Wheel, Lead Free, Optical Black
1 DK315 Card, Graphics, 128, 7300, Low Encryption, MRMGA10
2 F6761 Dual In-Line Memory Module, 512533M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
1 GR343 Kit, Software, Overpack, Windows Xp, MCE05U, Digital Video Disk Drive, English
1 X8711 Assembly, Cable, Input/Output Front, 1394, Tank
1 Y9457 Card, Controller, 1394A, PC Interface, Full Height, Adaptec Lead Free
1 DY654 Kit, Software, Works, 8.5, Office TRIAL, English
1 D9231 Assembly, Cable, Serial ATA 400MM, Straight, Tank
1 TF811 Processor, 80551, Pentium D Smithfield For Desktops, 820 2.8, BO, Server
1 RG894 KIT..., Software, Application Sonic Solutions, Cineplayer
1 MH200 Hard drive, 250GB, S2, 7.2K, 8MG Unleaded, Samsung
1 UF650 Kit, Software, Trend Micro, 12 English, Dell Americas Organization
0 149DF INFORMATION..., PREPARATION MATERIAL..., DEVIATION..., PRECISION WORKSTATION..., INCREASE..., #2
1 GH483 Assembly, Cable, FLEX-BAY TANK/MSMT
1 TH661 Assembly, Flash Storage Device Universal Serial Bus, Reader Half Height, Teac, Black
1 CJ281 DISPLAY..., FLAT PANEL DISPLAY..., 19, E196FPB, MIDNIGHT GRAY..., DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION..., FLAT PANNEL IN BOX...
1 CJ344 Keyboard, 104, Universal Serial Bus, United States, Entry, Nmb Black
1 UH852 Kit, Speaker, 120V, Black AS501PA, Ship In Box
1 JH300 Assembly, Dvd+/-rw, 16, Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Serial Ata, Black
1 P8016 Assembly, Heatsink, Shroud, Tank
1 MK592 Assembly, Bezel, Removable, 1394 Dimension, 9200
1 YH251 GUIDE..., OWNER..., DIMENSION..., EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM..., 410, ENGLAND/ENGLISH...
1 DH108 ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., DIMENSION..., 9200/410, PWA INTEGRATED...
1 P6712 Guide, Users Guide, Windows XP MCE2, Dimension/Inspiron
0 01323 INFORMATION..., NO ITEM
1 TH659 PLACEMAT..., GETTING STARTED..., DIMENSION..., EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM..., 410

Bios Ver. 1.0.3

Booted into Bios Setup
- Changed Boot Sequence making cd #1 & hd #2
- Selected Drives
- SATA Operations
- RAID ON was selected. Deselected and changed it to "RAID AUTO DETECT/ATA"
Restarted and for whatever reason, XP installation cd allowed me to start reinstalling.

Once again, thanks for the help!

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users